Compressors and "Hazardous materials"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting one here-to me, it sounds like the (giving benefit of the doubt) good intentions of the HOA may have been introduced without thinking it through. Scuba Duck has a good list going; can you clarify whether or not there are any minimum quantities you must be below (ie, no more than 5-gallons of gas for lawn mower/weed eater) or is it *all* "hazardous materials?" Most of the items listed by SD above ship in the US as ORM-D (other regulated material, domestic) because of the small quantities in the containers. If it says 'all' HazMat (Dangerous Goods) then make sure everyone gets rid of their gas cans, propane tanks, ammunition, hairspray, bug spray, and disconnects from the natural gas line (if you have one).

Thanks for all of the info.

No one is targeting me, I've been there for 10 years and never had any issues with anyone. The teenage kid next door watches after my house when I'm on vacation.

The homeowner's association just voted in a new set of covenants (90% approval was required) that bans "hazardous materials." I think I fight this.

I can't tell anyone that "it's gone" because when I open my garage door there are 15 scuba cylinders, 3 bank bottles, 4 oxygen tanks and one argon tank -- all sitting right there empty

Fixed.

Thanks for all of the info.

No one is targeting me, I've been there for 10 years and never had any issues with anyone. The teenage kid next door watches after my house when I'm on vacation.

The homeowner's association just voted in a new set of covenants (90% approval was required) that bans "hazardous materials." I think I fight this.

I can't tell anyone that "it's gone" because when I open my garage door there are 15 scuba cylinders, 3 bank bottles, 4 oxygen tanks and one argon tank -- all sitting right there

The 4 O2 and 1 argon do not weigh more than 1000 lbs. therefore they are not considered hazardous by federal regulation.

Personally I wouldn't say anything about what is in your garage even if asked. Still getting a hold of the new rules would be good.

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/os.oxygen.pdf

"The Waukesha Fire Department Fire Marshal reported that there were no regulations on
the number of oxygen bottles or how they may be stored in the home environment. He
spoke with a respiratory therapist for a home oxygen supply company who reported that
new users of home oxygen receive a two-hour in-home training session on the safe use
and operation of the equipment with follow-up evaluations at two-weeks, one-month, two
months and six months. She noted that cost leads some companies to deliver two-week
supplies, and that bottle accumulation was an area of undefined responsibility. Mr. Alba
believes that regulating the use of oxygen in the home could violate the fourth
amendment of the U.S. Constitution prohibiting unreasonable search and seizure.
Instead,
he advocates a voluntary identification program and public housing policies that would
allow housing administrators and residents to monitor the use of the systems."

Living in a bad fire zone, I often feel like I should have a warning label on my garage since I have three O2 bottles, and one acetylene bottle. At what point does the insurance company start canceling policies or denying claims though?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom