Compressor build.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Evening all.

I have the opportunity to buy an old Cornelius 3000psi compressor in working condition. Approx $400.

What would it entail to build this into a functional SCUBA compressor? Is this even worth my time?

Thanks for your opinions.

Safe diving.

You are going to have to give more information on what is included and what you would like to be able to do with it. E.g. any filtration included, occasional fills or cascade and what is your DIY capability and budget?

Cornelius pump can provide scuba quality air if it’s set up like the below. Skip the first stage separater.
upload_2021-6-2_21-51-33.jpeg

Evening all.

I have the opportunity to buy an old Cornelius 3000psi compressor in working condition. Approx $400.

What would it entail to build this into a functional SCUBA compressor? Is this even worth my time?

Thanks for your opinions.

Safe diving.

I'm new to having a compressor. I don't think I'll save any money, but the convenience is almost worth it's weight in gold. Not having to drive to the LDS, deal with the LDS, work around their schedule is priceless.

You'll have to take pictures and post and read all you can about your particular compressor.

Personally I would need a compressor that did more than 3000 psi, but maybe you only have LP tanks?

I built one and use it for personal tank fills/ blending nitrox. Not practical for cascade. My Cornelius is the 3500psi aircraft variant, though. I had to change the motor from the 3 phase 24vdc to a more standard 220vac, remove the automatic condensate valve assembly, and add a PMV. Lawrence Factor sells the filter cartridges. Works great but fills very slowly- probably about 1.5 cfm (40 minute fill time for an AL80).

Thanks guys. My DIY capability is fair. I have the pipe wrench and some hammers so basically all the tools I need.

As far as 3000 psi, right now I'm mainly diving Al 80 and steel 72's with a few pony bottles. I'm not against topping a 72 in good condition to 2800 sooooo. I think it would work. Of course the 3500 would be a nice compressor head if there were any available but i haven't seen any. 45 mins to fill a tank isn't a problem. I can piddle around the house instead of drive to get tanks filled.

Just wondering if the as issued compressor, without any retrofitted parts was worth it at $400ish.

It's worth it at that price but plan to retrofit and/ or modify a number of the components to get it ready for use filling scuba tanks. Motor, motor pulley, modify the compressor pulley housing to accommodate the slightly larger motor pulley and belt, custom SS lines from each cylinder, fill whip, pressure gauge, manual condensate valve, PMV.... Your total price will likely approach that of a MaxAir by the time you are done without the parts availability you would have if you went with another brand. However, if you are looking for a project and are moderately handy then it will probably be worth the price.

Thanks for the replies. I am a little confused by the listing I'm looking at. The compressor is listed as a 3000 psi but there is a pneumatic pack on the assembly listed at 1500. The compressor part number is 130-R-2102-1 if that helps. Here are the photos off the listing. The gentleman uses it to fill to 3000 psi but now I'm not sure about what I'm possibly bidding on. Any ideas?
upload_2021-6-3_12-6-21.png
upload_2021-6-3_12-8-16.png

Well, I guess my grand adventure is dead in the water. I got scared off the Ebay purchase when I found the exact same compressor listed, with the exact same photos, in another listing. Not meant to be. I guess I'll keep looking. Thanks for the comments guys.

Well, I guess my grand adventure is dead in the water. I got scared off the Ebay purchase when I found the exact same compressor listed, with the exact same photos, in another listing. Not meant to be. I guess I'll keep looking. Thanks for the comments guys.
I'd sell you one if you were not on the other end of the country.

I'd sell you one if you were not on the other end of the country.
Thanks. Hopefully I can find something. Even an hour fill for a 72 beats the drive to the shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom