Compressed neoprene drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medicdiver06

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking at buying a compressed neoprene drysuit from Bare (XCD2 Tech Dry). Heres my question. Has anyone ever dove a compressed neoprene drysuit? If so, could anyone give some advice to the best type of undergarment to? I live in Ohio, and the coldest water temp may reach 37 degrees F in the dead of winter at Lake Erie? Thanks for any help u can give me.

I would go with a HEAVY trilam suit.

We dive pinnacle suits and they are holding up very well. Zebra Muscles are like paper sheaders for dry suits.

He didn't ask which kind of dry suit to get. He asked about what to wear under a compressed neoprene drysuit.

Welcome to SB Medic! I can't help you either but I'm sure somebody else can.

Well, I'll try. I dive in the Pacific N.W. (Washington State) in 40 degree water. I use a Diving Concepts thinsulate extra/stretch jumpsuit. It's 200 gram. I wear two layers of poly pro long underwear under that and I'm good for about an hour. I've gone as long as 90 minutes but I'm trying to "ignore" the cold at that point. I'm diving a Diving Concepts Neo Z suit.
Depending on your body fat levels, whether you're using a thick hood/dry gloves, etc. a 300 gram undersuit might be more appropriate for you. Maybe buy the suit and rent a few different undies until you decide?

I would think that a neoprene suit would be much more zebra mussel resistant than a tri-lam suit, but I've only dived neo suits...
Hope that helps you some. Do a search for undies here and you should get a good feel for what's available.

Bare XCD2 is a great suit. I dive it with a stock LLBean polartech union suit under a Bare T100 thinsulate. I've been down to 37F in this setup and while I survived, it was cold. I'm looking at one of the Weezle undergarments for the next time I do water that cold. It works just great in 55F water though.

I have the suit you're thinking of getting. I wear a T-100 underwear with sometimes Under Armour cold gear under it. I haven't had any problems with being cold on a dive in cold New England waters.

Shane

That is a great dry suit....I wear the XCD2 Pro Dry. I prefer to layer my undergarments....using a BARE T-100 as the outer layer/shell and adding additional loft as required for the water temp and dive duration. Neo. is the way to go in really cold waters and around wrecks and muscles.

My old suit is a compressed neoprene suit and it was warm until it started to leak and the zipper lost a tooth. :wink:

I wore a thin base layer and roughly 200g fleece under it for most dives. I think that 200g-400g undies should be fine with neoprene. Check out Carol Davis Sportswear and SoftWear for the Scuba Diver

If you are doing deco dives were a flood might be an issue, you might want to consider underoos that will keep you warm when wet.

If you are doing deco dives were a flood might be an issue, you might want to consider UNDEROOS that will keep you warm when wet.

These Fruit of the Loom Undroos are great!

29x85rc.jpg

:rofl3:

Until recently, I've been diving a DC compressed neo in Puget Sound, water temp in the mid 40's. I had a 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit with a 200g Thinsulate vest, and a layer of thin polarfleece under all that. I was pretty good for an hour, but any longer than that, and I'd get pretty cold.

I now have a White's MK3 undergarment, which I absolutely adore. I put the 200g vest under it, and as long as my gas and no deco time last, I'm warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom