Completed OW where next...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many dives under OW would everyone suggest before moving to AOW?

This will raise a HUGE debate, as has happened frequently. This is one of the most divisive questions on Scuba Board.

Many will agree with me that the big problem is the "A" part of AOW. People get the sense that someone taking the class should be an advanced diver. The intent of most agencies, though, is more of an OWII class. In it you get experience doing different kinds of dives. You learn more skills and have more time with the instructor. Those who follow this line of thinking (including myself) don't feel you should need many dives at all. I myself was dissatisfied with my level of training after OW and took AOW without a single intervening dive. In retrospect, it was a good decision. I got 5 dives with professional guidance and benefited greatly. When I got my subsequent experience, I was practicing good technique.

Others argue that you benefit from the experience of doing a lot of dives on your own and will learn more from the AOW when you eventually take it.

I feel that experience is beneficial when it is good experience. If in your experience you are practicing and reinforcing poor technique, than that practice may do more harm than good. In almost all sports, I recommend competent instruction before bad habits develop.

How many dives under OW would everyone suggest before moving to AOW?
As usual, "it depends". In my case, I did my OW in a quarry and had all kinds of buoyancy issues and really didn't feel too comfortable diving "by myself" - i.e., without an instructor. I chose to take AOW the following weekend more for the extra instruction and time with a "pro" who could help me feel more comfortable.

At the end of the AOW course, was I an "advanced" diver? NO WAY! But I was a much more comfortable diver and had enough confidence to then do more diving with experienced buddies.

Ideally, I'd say that you'll get more out of the course if you have some dives after OW - maybe 10-12 or so. Then realize that the "A" in "AOW" is really a misnomer. The only thing that will make you an Advanced diver is time and dives - taking the additional courses, especially the buoyancy course will help you immensely - and will give you a good excuse to do more diving - which is the real key.

Enjoy your new hobby!
Al

Well since I was the original poster...

Here is the trip I chose.

Starting AOW today with night dive. Continuing with navigation and PPB. This all in a local quarry. Then followed up with weekend dive (6 dives) in the Atlantic during which I will do a wreck dive and deep dive as well as deep dive specialty.

I am also in parallel taking EANx class and few weeks later equipment specialty.

So by end of August I should have AOW + 3 specialties done, perhaps even extra two night dives and extra PPB dive to get me all 5 specialties done by end of August.

I agree that I would prefer learning good technique and not drill in my own bad one then try to unlearn.

be sure to get in some diving on your own, not always in a class. You will develop more confidence diving and practicing on your own and learn different things.

also, don't get hung up on getting 5 specialties "done". The point should be to learn not get "done." If there are only 1-2 specialties you are actually interested in, take those 1-2. If you think there are 8 that will do you some good, take those 8. But PADI Master Diver is just a recognition thing for going through Rescue and taking 5 specialties; really it's a way to sell classes which you may or may not need. There's nothing magic about 5 specialties and you don't learn anything more by sending them $35 or whatever it is for the card.

You actually don't mention Rescue Diver - that is a very valuable course to take.

I agree with many of the opinions above. Personally, I would wait for AOW until I had 15-20 dives that weren't part of a class. Dive with a experienced buddy, for fun, and figure out what your strengths and weaknesses are. Then focus on the specialties that will help you improve your skills in the areas you have identified.
An advanced card is just a card, really. What counts is the experience and a reasonable amount of confidence that you can handle whatever situation you might find yourself in while diving. Did I mention experience?

I do not think it is hugely important to have a gap between OW or AOW and would recommend doing it soon after OW as it is handy to have a few extra dives under supervision.

As far as specialties go, if I had to redo things the only specialties I would have done would be

AOW + Nitrox + Rescue.

As it is I have also done Deep, Navigation, Drift, and Night (I did my AOW through SSI, which required four specialties, rather than five dives like PADI). Whilst Deep does allow me to do dives on charters to 40m rather than 30m like OW, I think most of the material can be learned through mentors. The other three specialties are common sense and you can easily learn on your own as well. Even Nitrox is easy to learn on one's own but shops generally want to see you have the card and that is why I think it is worthwhile to do if you are doing dives that Nitrox would help with. What kind of dives are you doing that you feel you will require Nitrox with?

Rescue is a valuable class and I would have that as a goal if I was you.

Also, is there some reason you feel you have to do five specialties? There is no point just doing them for the sake of doing them to get something like a Master Diver card. Doing specialties and just going diving for fun is not mutually exclusive but the more you go out on your own without a DM or instructor the more you might find those classes unnecessary....

You actually don't mention Rescue Diver - that is a very valuable course to take.

I didn't mention for 3 reasons.

1. Because it is mandatory part (you can't choose from other items).

2. Having recently fostered/adopted a child it is part of mandatory certification to have CPR so I understand the value.

3. From #1 and #2 I felt it was self evident that it is hugely important form me.

However realizing that this wasn't obvious I had to post this :)

Also, is there some reason you feel you have to do five specialties?

OK, here is my reasoning.

1. Local group does frequent Thursday night dives. These are night dives and I figured I could benefit from night specialty.

2. Navigation is a good skill to learn to help with #2 as well. Plus it is somehow technical and I like technical challenges.

3. Nitrox is just an added bonus that one has options when diving when it might sense to extend bottom time at certain depths. Since I plan to go to Thailand in November I want to get the most of the dives and don't want to go up because I am out of air.

4. Equipment: I am techie at heart. It gives me mental confidence when I know more about how things work. Especially when it comes to things that support my life underwater.

5. Deep dive: I think it is just a valuable experience. One of those "just in case" scenarios. To learn a bit more "borderline" practices that might come handy.

6. Rescue, well that I hold self evident really. (Hence didn't mention it before but will do now.)

7. (Not necessary last.) PPB. A good skill to learn anyways. Improving buoyancy is always good.

Last edited:
As I said the more you dive the more you might feel you can learn by yourself (or with the help of experienced friends] to dive at night, how to navigate, use nitrox, learn about equipment, do deep dive planning and how to manage your buoyancy. That is what I found, anyway.

I have to agree with Sas that the best way to learn is just get your feet wet literally. If you go on charters stay with dive profiles that you are comfortable with and move on as you get comfortable with those. Quarries are the best in my own opinion to start out in as they have no current, usually there are no boats to contend with and most are set up for training through platforms and other neat items.

As was mentioned previously fluff courses like boat diving I would strongly urge staying away from as I cant see paying someone to watch me walk off a boat.

As far as how long one should wait to do AOW I think the best and most honest answer any one can give you is when you are ready to take it. Have fun with your OW and when you are ready then its a good time to take AOW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom