Complete set-up---Opinions?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outlawaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
These are the two set-ups I have pretty much decided on. Was wondering if anyone had any comments, CAUTIONS, etc. As a realtive newbie I would love to have other opinions and experiences. All opinions are welcome.

Atmos AI Nitrox Computer
AI with Quick Disconnect Hose

Genesis React Pro Nitrox Console
2 Guage Compact

Aeris Atmos Sport BCD

Zeagle Brigade BCD

Mares Proton Octo

Mares MR 12 Proton

Mares V16 Proton Metal

Henderson Lycra Hot Skin

Aeris Velocity Fins (Strap Heel)

Ocean Master Equalizer 4 Mask

Have you been diving with any of the gear you're looking at? What gear have you been diving with that you are comparing it to in order to make your decision?

Just curious, since you are wanting the Zeagle BC, did you check out their regs? I love mine.

First off, as mentioned - TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With that in mind...

I have a Zeagle Escape, which is similar to ScubaToys's Brigade and I really like it. If you feel comfortable in it, go for it.

I also have the Atmos AI and it's a great computer - if you're comfortable with the relatively liberal algorithm (compared to Suunto), solid choice.

I haven't used any of the other equipment listed, so i'll let others talk to those. But I do second brianwl's comment on the Zeagle regs... I have a 50D/ZX and love it.

I've tried and I like it. The main thing I was looking for comments on was the Aeris AI. Thanks.

I did a review here on the Brigade (search). I really don't think you can go wrong with it. I also have the Ocean Master mask. Other than the limited field of view I like it. All in all the field of view isn't bad but I keep finding myself wanting to try a Cressi Matrix.

crpntr133:
I did a review here on the Brigade (search). I really don't think you can go wrong with it.

It was because of your glowing review that I purchased a Brigade too. It should be arriving any day. I am holding you personally responsible. :wink: Actually I was pretty much sold on the Escape until I read the thread. I liked the idea of a more rugged harness, knowing it could handle a bigger bladder if I decide I need more bouyancy later on.

A lot of people tell you to try out gear before buying it. Last time I rented, I asked my LDS if I could demo something. The guy looked at me like I was from Mars and gave me the same Aqualung Micra and Malibu that they always give me. We're shooting pretty blind here which is why we are such pains about asking a zillion questions.

LeFlaneur:
A lot of people tell you to try out gear before buying it. Last time I rented, I asked my LDS if I could demo something. The guy looked at me like I was from Mars and gave me the same Aqualung Micra and Malibu that they always give me. We're shooting pretty blind here which is why we are such pains about asking a zillion questions.
This is why I have a new LDS. I tried several times to get my previous LDS to rent me gear that he was pushing. No Go. So, I walked. Yes, I drive almost an hour out of my way to get to my current LDS, but, whenever I ask to rent something before I buy it, he tosses it at me and says have fun.

Basically, my view is, if you want to sell me life support equipment, you better not expect me to take your word that it performs the way I want it to.

Rent before you buy is one option that I don't have. One more reason that this board has come in handy.

I wonder if I get a commission from Scubatoys on your order? Actually Larry took good care of me with the weight bags that I needed so I can't complain. LeFlaneur, you did remeber the yellow Zeagle weight bags didn't you?

I like the Zeagle B/Cs. You get to choose between a velcrow cumberbun or else belt buckle(s). I went with the belt buckles instead of the cumberbun. The multiple waist buckles (without the cumberbun) make it more secure, similar to a harness, but without the unnecessary backplate of a harness.

northcoast_diver:
I like the Zeagle B/Cs. You get to choose between a velcrow cumberbun or else belt buckle(s).
My Zeagle Ranger (same harness as Brigade) has a cumberbun with velcro and a QR buckle over it.
There a bit of elastic in the cumerbun, too, that helps compensate for wetsuit compression.

I've got the Aeris Velocity fins and they're great. Tried my instructor's splits once and they were nice, too, but I got my fins on sale from ScubaToys.com last year for about $50 (the Lime color was on close-out!)

-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom