Competitive Attitude

How do you feel about competition among divers?

• I'm competitive and I think it's a good thing.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I'm competitive but work to be more humble.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • I'm uncompetitive and wish others would be so as well.

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • I don't think there is much competition among divers.

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a good topic. I actually don't see any place in diving for competition among each other as divers but I do see a problem from time to time on this board with opinions (particularly with gear) from some members that seem to be aimed solely at being rude and trying to start a flame war. That just really turns me off and makes me not want to participate in discussions. On the other hand some people are very good at expressing their opinions in a way as to not offend others (Lost Yooper, Rick Murchison, Texas Mike etc... come to mind) and that's how I wish it was all the time. I totally respect opinions I don't agree with as do most members I'm sure when it's done in a polite professional manner.

There are competing ideas about diving styles here....
And these can lead to discussion and even debate....
This is probably a good thing in that we can all learn....
Heated debate and name calling are bad though....

As for the idea of number of posts being a competitive thing....
I hadn't even thought about that before....
In what way is that a competitive thing....
I am missing something there....

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

As for the idea of number of posts being a competitive thing....
I hadn't even thought about that before....
In what way is that a competitive thing....
I am missing something there....

Yeah...I don't really get where there is competition in the number of posts either. I guess maybe the perception that some posts or replies to posts are more meaningless chit chat type things with out any real useful information and one may assume it's an attempt by the member to rack up their post counter to gain more stars which would be pretty dumb if that were the case. :eek:ut:

Competition can be a good thing, but it can be a bad thing as well. A few years ago, I did some wild stuff because of competition. Now, I dive for the zen aspects of being underwater. I study for Chemistry while doing hangs. heck, if it weren't for Devil's Eye, I would probably get a C.
I survived the competitive diving somehow, but the competition definately drove me far beyond my level of training.
That being said, I wouldn't take back the experiences for all the world.

I don’t think I am very competitive against other divers. Me being competitive against myself is another story.

I also consider myself at the beginning of the learning journey/curve for diving. Give me a few years and I might become opinionated. :)

This is also to say that in a few years I will be able to contribute more than questions and chit chat to the board.

And I'm still workin' on it....

The connection between competition, POV, technical diving and the little numbers of posts....

It doesn't seem to fit on the surface but I know that there is
something in there all right and I haven't quite got it connected.

Hmm - interesting thread -
I was really active here for a while - but then I got really busy with work and - uhm - diving all the time...

Then I found that a lot of times when I read a thread there is already a number of replies from UP, LY or Roakey - and they are all people who think along the same lines as I do.
I'll ad stuff when I have something to add - otherwise I pass it up - and I rarely read an entire thread with some 54 posts in it...

as far as the numer of post being a competitive issue? Huh???
I guess I would want to know how to get a cool icon for myself - but that is really far behind the number one priority - which is to go diving...

Big T

I selected, i am competitive and wish others were that way. now that doesn't mean that i have to be the best at everything, just that i have to be the very best ME that i can be. i am constantly striving to learn something new. hone my skills and be a better safer diver, i know that i am not the best and i have a lot to learn but there has to be some sort of a competition in everything. If there was no competition, either outward or silent, then everything gets really boring really quick. Heck this is a TECHNICAL DISCUSSION area. You can't tell me that there is NOT some kind of a silent competition deeper deeper safer, safer, deeper....there is, admit it. just my 2 cents.

Narced_1 :jester:

I think as far as diving is concerned a little competition can be helpful in helping one develop their skills. But too much can lead someone to find themself in a bad situation or worse

Hummmm

Wanna race. I bet I can scuba to that wreck, go through it, find a treasure and get back to the anchor line before you. :D LOL

I see your AOW and raise you a Rescue Diver and Cave and Cavern Cert. :wacko:

LOL R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom