Competitive Attitude

How do you feel about competition among divers?

• I'm competitive and I think it's a good thing.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I'm competitive but work to be more humble.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • I'm uncompetitive and wish others would be so as well.

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • I don't think there is much competition among divers.

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradymsu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've noticed that technical divers (especially the guys) tend to be much more competitive than recreational divers in regards to their dive experience, gear configuration, training agency, particular equipment manufacturer, etc. Often on Scubaboard, I've seen people far more interested in defending their point of view than a legitimate exchange of information.

This competitive attitude seems to be growing on Scubaboard especially since a year ago.

What is your experience/attitude regarding a competitive attitude among divers (not self-competition)?

Are we talking competitive or opinionated. I think technical divers tend to be somewhat type A. IMO, anyone who goes deep and incurs a deco obligation without being confidant in their equipment, skills and methods clearily has a deathwish. Of course this needs to be tempered with a dose of humility or learning stops and so does life. I think "opinionated" goes with the teritory.

When spearfishing, the fish or bug belongs to the TEAM! Doing things JUST to go deeper, stay longer, etc. is a fast way to become fish food!

Most female divers understand this right off. It can take a few years for the men to figure this out, if they ever do. If what you need is deep, then go there to get it, but DO NOT go there just to go there ,or to "beat" someone else!

FT

In cave diving, competition has no place. I'm reminded of a recent death, can't remember the name of the person. Anyway, these guys were wreck divers who had a competition about who could be in the water first. This guy gets all rigged up and jumps in, but forgot to turn on his air. Plunges a zillion feet to his death. This was a truly tragic event, and an example of what could happen if tech divers get competitive. I have never witnessed anything but support among my particular dive buddies. I don't think I could comfortably dive with anyone who didn't have a healthy dose of humility in his/her bones.

I've seen some competition among persons on boats that I have dived from, like who could go deeper quicker or something. I would certainly avoid that.

When we dive wrecks with alot of marine life we regularly agree who will go for what before the dive: mussels, lobsters, flounder, etc... then afterwards we go to someone's house, cook a big meal, and everyone gets a great feast regarless of what they brought in. Team work definatly tastes better!:D

It depends on what sort of comeptition you see yourself in.

I'm in competition with myself. To always strive to learn more than I did before, to always have more reliable and effecient equipment, to push myself to take the next step.

Competition that leads to diving beyond your knowledge and ability just for "bragging rights" (IE: "You've been down to 130' huh? So what? I've gone down to 200' and I'm not even Advanced certififed so I'm tougher than you") is dangerous and I wouldnt dive with anyone who held this sort of attitude...unless I suddenly felt suicidal

SpyderTek

Bradysmu, yes the board has changed. I see a lot more people join and less and less people contribute.

Competition in any part of life CAN be a good thing, it isn't always though. Nothing great ever happens when people are not competetive.

Opinionated can be good also, if one also keeps an open mind as to what others have to say and can learn from their ideas.

ALWAYS having to be right, on the other hand is definately not what anyone else wants to hear and can ruin things in a hurry.

I (in my opinion only) have found most of the tech divers here to be considerate and have some good ideas sometimes. I may not agree with all they have to say as I am sure they don't agree with all I have to say. There are a few, Uncle Pug, Lost Yooper, Roakey, and others that I look forward to having "conversations" with and they present themselves in a civilized manner. There are a couple who also make things very unpleasant for preople here and all they seem to want to do is to argue and try to show off how great they are. To say that someone elses ideas or equipment is stupid or just wrong over and over again reguardless of what it is, can do nothing but cause aggrivation. I am quite sure ( again only my opinion) that a lot of people simply don't want to be a part of this, so they don't even bother posting.

This is really sad as I know a lot more people used to contribute without the fear of being humiliated by someone who knows everything!

Ok, I am done ranting now.

Later, Hawk.

Competitiveness is an inbred instinct.If your anscestors had not been competitive they would not have reproduced.The problem is that like any other instinct(procreation for ex.)an excess is usually either counterproductive or even dangerous.I believe closemindedness is even more distasteful,as it closes one off from the experiences of others.I answered B because I realise my limitations and my faults .I try to temper the competitiveness with common sense as my instincts have ahistory of running AMOK...

I've never really thought about this. I know I am not competitive when it comes to diving, and I don't dive with people who somehow find diving to be a competition. I have seen this attitude a lot, however, when people can't wait to hit 200' on air or something foolish like that. We're never in a rush to get in the water or to see who can descend the fastest (I see this a lot too).

I do, however, have the utmost confidence in my gear, configuration, knowledge base, and, for the most part, my skills. I am openly opinionated (not that any of you have noticed, I'm sure :D), but those opinions are not made up as I write either, and they tend to change as I develop and learn new things. Learning, for me, is a full spead ahead process that I enjoy immensely. I am constantly reading and researching various aspects of diving with recent emphasis (as in the the last few years) being placed on diving physiology. I also enjoy sharing what I know (and think) with others in a friendly mannor, or even in a lively debate, in hopes that others may find ways to increase their safety and enjoyment underwater (and avoid dangerous things).

I don't think competition has much place in diving if it compomises safety in any way. As far as Scuba Board goes, I like this place. I don't spend a lot of time at any of the other boards that can get pretty hairy at times. We get a few bad apples here, but nothing too bad, really. Certainly nothing that can't be ignored or dismissed.

:)

Mike

remember, being told you are "runner up" is a polite way of
informing you that you are a "loser".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom