Compass Headings - Why East at 270

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtRider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got my padi basic open water and advanced open water done back to back but noticed something funny on some compasses that the instructor couldn't answer. There was a person in my class who was a private pilot and asked why his compass had printed 270 degrees at East instead of 90 degrees. What is the deal? I imagine that perhaps this compass is supposed to be used differently than the other kind...might have something to do with the lubber line....
I have never seen one like that before so I am curious.

Here is an example
http://www.scubapro.com/products/comps/navigation_board/navigation_board.asp

If you'll look closely, you'll notice that although they seem to be printed on "different sides", it all depends upon how one uses the compass.

When all else fails, read the directions.

the K

The compasses are designed that way so when you look through the side window not on top you get the correct heading.

Because they are designed with a sighting window. When you look through this you will see the number closest to you as the bearing rather than the one on the far side (as normal when looking down). These are termed reverse bezel compasses because they are designed to be viewed this way.
With the compass pointing East, you would see 90 when looking through the viewing window.

DirtRider:
I just got my padi basic open water and advanced open water done back to back but noticed something funny on some compasses that the instructor couldn't answer. There was a person in my class who was a private pilot and asked why his compass had printed 270 degrees at East instead of 90 degrees. What is the deal? I imagine that perhaps this compass is supposed to be used differently than the other kind...might have something to do with the lubber line....

Your instructor needs to refresh his navigation skills and knowledge...:D

Look at the site again you referenced.... "Dual-reading display with side viewing window"

I grew up surveying and it seems simple, but here's a quick lesson. Looking at the top of the compass, you use the N,S,E,W as reference to see what general direction your traveling. (bearing) as north, northeast, northwest, south, southeast, southwest. Bearings are expressed in degrees from north or south, i.e 0-90 NE, SE, SW, NE. Note your azimuth 0-360, (the angle measured from north, eastward along the horizon) grows 0-90 in the northeast quadrant, 90-180 in the southeast quadrant, 180-270 in the southwest quadrant, and 270 -360 in the northwest quadrant. Those numbers printed lower on the compass are viewed through the site window when pointing the lubber line in your direction of travel for a more accurate heading.
So, next time you go for a dive, orientate your self to the shore line, i.e. "I'll be heading north east from the shore, now point your lubber line out to a marker or bouy, and read your azimuth (should be between 0-90, close to 45), figure your way back by adding or subtracting 180, here it would be 45+180=225 or southwest!

So if you're on the "East" end of your compass, and you look through the site window, you're headed west, or 270 Az. Make sense?

Like my wife says, it's easier to show than tell, but that's a general explaination of the numbers printed on that type of compass. Dive safe

tony

DirtRider:

Here is an example
http://www.scubapro.com/products/comps/navigation_board/navigation_board.asp

Your inquiry doesn't make me want to get into an airplane with your classmate unless he has someone else aboard as a navigator. The layout of the typical dive compass shouldn't fool anyone with a pilot's license.

Tell him it's for diving in the Southern Hemisphere

Find a new instructor!!!

I am a flight instructor and i have to say, not the compass but the way it was tought in the padi OW course that was a bit odd. but, whatever, i got through it ok.

i

Back
Top Bottom