Compass hard to read on Smart Com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use some surgical tubing and loop it all the way around the front below the compass then attach to the face side to keep it protected.

When I was in Israel there were a lot of neoprene octopus holders, one loop or hole to go around a BC strap, the other for the mouthpiece to go through. You could do the same think here, as long as the hole was big enough for the compass to go through. The streach in the neoprene kept it in place but allowed it to be pulled out.

Does this help?

I connect my Aladin Air using a brass clip. The brass clip is attached to the computer using a ziptie.

The computer gets clipped to the left D-Ring on the harness (there were if you are pure DIR you would put the SPG).

Works very nice, is cheap and solid

Ray

Thanks,

I'll try the tubing and see if that's what I need.

The hose is a bit long for the DIR way, and I like to be able to glance at it often - a bit of a pain if it is connected at your left hip - also, I think it would get pummled in the surf if it was clipped there - I like it by my chest - out of the way but protected by my arms for entry and exit- so the only thing I need to worry about in the surf is my camera...:)

I'll just have to experiment.

Grant

You have to buy two 2 parts

The retractor and the clip that hooks on to the console the connects to the retractor.

My clip has a piece of loop like cord.I just run it through the backside of the compass on my smartcom.Its a liitle tricky to feed through but works great.Just make sure you get a good heavy duty retractor.

Check out www.leisurepro.com or www.diversdirect.com for pics and parts needed

I use a Cetacea locking retractor and run the metal ring on the end thru the holes behind the compass. I clip the other end off to the ring on the end of my BC shoulder adjustment strap. Stays close to my body and is positioned perfectly for quick checks.

When I need to use the compass, I just unlock the retractor, pull it out to the required length for comfort, and then lock the string out.

You will need patience to thread the ring thru the holes in back.

Here's a picture. It's not the best shot and I apologize for the resolution, but I think you can get the idea from it.

Excellent..

I've just tried the same - except the retractor I have doesn't have a "keyring" just a clip, so I've fed through a cable tie to connect to. Will try it out tomorrow (southerly is blowing so there is a bit of a swell :))

Grant

Grant,

Let us know how that works out for you. :)

Ok, just got back from the dive - everything worked well :) - except the water temperature dropped below 16C - very cold for Sydney!). Went to a site called Shiprock - basically a wall from 6m to 15m about 5m out from the shore - very nice dive!

I had a retractor attached to my left sholder D-ring and the retractor clip attached to a zip tie through the hole behind the compass. I all worked ok - and I could even use the compass!

The only issue (and one that I think cannot be easily fixed without a cage) is that when entering and exiting the water the SmartCom was facing outward. This has the potential to get scratched up in the surf.

I may try to attach some bungy cord around the SmartCom (using the whole in the back as an anchor) so I can clip the retractor to the front....

Will let you know how I go :)

Grant

Back
Top Bottom