Compass hard to read on Smart Com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have the same problem, where the SmartCom's hose is so short, that you have a hard time reading or using the console compass to navigate?

I called Scuba Pro, and they told me that they are having a hard time believing that there is a problem with the hose being too short.

Additonally, they said that the hose is the same that was used on the alading model for years, and that they have no options for a longer hose replacement.

I don't care about that, all I know is that the HP hose is so short, I can barely bring my computer close enough to my ches to get a decent reading.

Jonscubas

I have the Aladin Air, which had the same HP hose that the Smartcom now has (I actually compared both once in my LDS).

I love the air integrated computer but I think the compass is just a PITA. I have the same problem, it's almost not usable.

What I do, if I need to use it (e.g. to take the general direction at the beginning of the dive): I route the hose OVER the shoulder to take the reading. After that, I put hose back under the arm and clip it to the harness.

But again, it's only a workaround and if you are considering serious navigation, get a wrist mounted compass (like I did) for that purpose.

I like the UWATEC air integrated computers, but the compass is more a gimmick then a useful tool.

Hope this helps.

Ray

I previously owned the aladin air integrated computer and sold it to buy the new smartcom.I will agree the hose does seem to be to short.I noticed it a lot more on my old computer compared to my new smart com.With my old computer i tried everything from routing the hose over my shoulder and even thought about buying a wrist mount compass.With my new smartcom i can read the compass pretty easy now but do wish the hose was slightly longer to make it easier to get into position to read the compass.

Maybe Dive Rite or someone will step in here and make a 6 inch or some such extension HP hose to go between the 1st stage and the SmatrCom hose. Be worth 20 or 30 I would guess, but it's a fix.

I haven't had any problems with hose length yet on my SmartCom. I do unhook it from my BCD when I'm using it for navigation, but otherwise it is just fine.

Slightly off topic - how do you connect the SmartCom to your BC? From what I have seen there are no clips or places to attach clips to the unit? The Aladin Air has a couple of bars on the front that would allow a clip/retractor but the SmartCom doesn't

??

Behind the compass is a hole that passes through and I attached one of those delrin clips, the other piece of the clip on the D-ring on the right side of my BC. Seems to work fine and easy to disconnect when necessary.

I am unsure of their real name but you know, the ones where you squeeze the sides and they unlatch. like on your BC but smaller.

Thanks, I know what you mean now.

I am thinking of how I will attach a retractor to mine... Attaching it to the back (via a looped cable tie - or something similar) will present problems when you pull it out to look at the compass.

Also, I do a lot of shore diving (in Sydney) and having the computer face-out is not the ideal way to protect it from the surf and rocks :)

I hope someone will release a metal cage for them, but until then, I'm not sure how to connect it ...

Grant

Back
Top Bottom