Compass For Navigation info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever happened to the NavFinder that can be seen in the PADI Navigation Manual? No longer sold?

Just read this and saw a comment about a compass not working near wreaks always pointing north. This is not the case being near large bodies ferrous metal won't make compass always just point towards the wreck it can throw a compass of 10s of degrees to will correct as you move away from a wreck not enough that you will instantly notice will cause you to miss your target in low vis. Over the top of the wreck it can pull the needle down causing it to stick but buying the wrong compass for the region can do that too.

"buying the wrong compass for the region" AFAIK there are compasses for the southern hemisphere /vs/ the north, for boats and other purposes, but I've never heard dive shops mention different types like that.

If you can SEE your compass, the visibility ain't really low. Yet.(G)

The compass needle tilts up or down to a different degree depending on where you are relative to the equator. They compensate by weighting one end of needle depending on which side and how far from the equator you are. There is not as much varience in the northern hemisphere but is a big deal south of the equator. Some more expensive compasses and marine compass allow more tilt but it is an issue with cheap compasses. I have bush walking compass bought for me when I was teenager from a store 3000km south of where I live it is useless because the needle rubs on the case when held flat.

The compass needle tilts up or down to a different degree depending on where you are relative to the equator. They compensate by weighting one end of needle depending on which side and how far from the equator you are. There is not as much varience in the northern hemisphere but is a big deal south of the equator. Some more expensive compasses and marine compass allow more tilt but it is an issue with cheap compasses. I have bush walking compass bought for me when I was teenager from a store 3000km south of where I live it is useless because the needle rubs on the case when held flat.
But someone who brings a northern compass to that "bushwalking" location might have no idea their compass won't work, so that is one more gear check list item for traveling under the "Southern Cross"! (Next time I go to Australia to look for Sea Dragons)

My last dive was looking for sea dragons, found 3 of the leafy. Diving compasses are a little more forgiving as they are designed for a little bit of tilt and the are a few global ones available. Australia spans 3 traditional compass zones south east Asia another 2 or 3 whereas the USA and Canada are all in one. I live in one zone my parents live in another(where I went to look at leafy sea dragons) and my dive trips are in another 2 have bought a dive compass yet but will be getting a high tilt global one.

image.jpg

I just bought this old compass for $15.00US, is this a high tilt compass? I also have an older hose mounted one that I was thinking of changing to bungee mount.
Anyway, I am trying to get my hubby and daughter to schedule a dry suit class since either here in Snow Country, or there in the kelp forests photographing "Leafies", Dry suit opens up a lot of great opportunities. I am praying daughter can get SCUBA shop internship to help with class costs PLUS, she can buy her own compass! And thanks to you, I will tell her what to look for.

Whatever happened to the NavFinder that can be seen in the PADI Navigation Manual? No longer sold?
No longer in the PADI catalog. You see them on eBay now and then. Cool device!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom