Compass For Navigation info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am curious if people have any stories about using the compass for navigation in lower visibility dives?

I did a dive on a wreck last year where the viz was 10' or less. The wreck was broken into 2 chunks with a little bit of a gap in between.

I descended on one part of the wreck, swam to the break and wanted to go over to the other part. It was not so far that I felt like I needed to run a line, but it was far enough that I could just barely see the edge of the other chunk from the very edge of the chunk I was on. I took a compass heading from one part to the other then swam over. I swam around for a while, with some swimthroughs and what-not. I got a bit turned around, so when it was time to head back to the anchor line, I wasn't sure which way to go to get back to the break between the wreck chunks. I could have just picked a direction and gone. If it was the wrong way, turn around and go the opposite direction. But, that might have taken too long. I checked the compass heading I had taken, swam the reciprocal, and got right back to the break, crossed over, and back to the anchor line.

I have 3 computers that all have electronic compasses built in. If I'm getting in and think there's any chance I'll actually want to use a compass during my dive, I still take my $39 DGX Tech compass with bungee cord rigged to hold it on the back of my right hand. I find having it on the back of my hand makes it a lot easier to swim and stay on a heading than if I have it on my wrist or forearm. And it's nice that I don't have to hold it.

Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord

I did a dive on a wreck last year where the viz was 10' or less. The wreck was broken into 2 chunks with a little bit of a gap in between.

I descended on one part of the wreck, swam to the break and wanted to go over to the other part. It was not so far that I felt like I needed to run a line, but it was far enough that I could just barely see the edge of the other chunk from the very edge of the chunk I was on. I took a compass heading from one part to the other then swam over. I swam around for a while, with some swimthroughs and what-not. I got a bit turned around, so when it was time to head back to the anchor line, I wasn't sure which way to go to get back to the break between the wreck chunks. I could have just picked a direction and gone. If it was the wrong way, turn around and go the opposite direction. But, that might have taken too long. I checked the compass heading I had taken, swam the reciprocal, and got right back to the break, crossed over, and back to the anchor line.

I have 3 computers that all have electronic compasses built in. If I'm getting in and think there's any chance I'll actually want to use a compass during my dive, I still take my $39 DGX Tech compass with bungee cord rigged to hold it on the back of my right hand. I find having it on the back of my hand makes it a lot easier to swim and stay on a heading than if I have it on my wrist or forearm. And it's nice that I don't have to hold it.

Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord
You were lucky. Using a compass near a wreck is quite problematic.

You were lucky. Using a compass near a wreck is quite problematic.

Good point. I have read that, even though I haven't noticed it happening.

Regardless, on that day, I knew I could find my way without the compass. The compass just made it easier. If there had been any question of being lost without the compass, I would have run a line.

Good point. I have read that, even though I haven't noticed it happening.
LOL. One clue it is happenng is that no matter which way you turn, it is always North.

For me, a compass is invaluable. Whether I dive on a flat(ish) bottom site, when it's dark or in low (i.e. <5m) viz. Or several of the above. I don't have any stories, except that on several occasions, I've thought "Let's see... I came that way, right?", then checking the compass and finding out I was at least ninety degrees off course.

I had to use one to get back from the deep blue on a drift deco back to the reef in Bonaire. I have heard that people have gotten confused and started swimming for Klein Bonaire doing that.

With no visual reference except your line you have to rely on your compass. Every direction looks the same. Pretty much the same as no vis.

I much prefer navigation slates to wrist compasses and digital compasses in computers. Allows you to put a general map of where you are on the slate, write down notes, etc etc all while having something that is more accurate for navigation and easier to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom