Compass: digital versus analog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey Goose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wondering if a single compass on a digital bottom timer computer/watch (Xdeep BT, on order) is recommended, or should I be thinking of getting an analog/regular compass as well? Suitability of the Xdeep bt of particular interest in relation to its compass, but feel free to extend to other computers if they have a compass and relevant to question. Thanks!

I have a Galileo Sol with a pretty good digital compass, but still prefer to keep an analog on the opposite wrist. The digital compass takes up valuable display space, has to be activated/deactivated and it's easy to lose a bearing. The one time the digital is nice is night diving as it's always lit up by the backlight. Having said that, I would wait for your xDeep, play around with the compass and then decide.

Old fashion analog

Analog. What happens if your digital/computer fails? Even on land I don't rely on a GPS, I always have a compass, if not both.

Related question: I know that for a GPS to get a solid compass bearing you need to be moving, is that also true with a dive computer/digital compass?

Analog.. No question. I've got a digital on my computer that I never use. I only use my Analog. To me it's just easier to orient myself with Analog.

Jim

I have a suunto vyper air with compass, works fine for the most part but did find a problem with it recently. Once you get to less than 5 ft deep the compass will automatically turn off. Since a couple of my local sites have me swimming above the weeds at around 5 feet deep on the way to shore this causes a problem. I'll carry both from now on.

.... I know that for a GPS to get a solid compass bearing you need to be moving, is that also true with a dive computer/digital compass?
No. They use the magnetic field and not triangulation.

Analog, using the digital compass drains batteries faster...Similar to using the backlight too much, eats the battery up......A good 'fast-swing' compass in a wrist bungee mount....You'll navigate more accurately......

Analog. What happens if your digital/computer fails? Even on land I don't rely on a GPS, I always have a compass, if not both.

Related question: I know that for a GPS to get a solid compass bearing you need to be moving, is that also true with a dive computer/digital compass?

No the digital compass is similar to analog and does not have to be moving.

Years ago I had the digital compass from Uwatec (which was a unit on its own).

Must say that I was not convinced. Very soon reverted back to an analog unit and using analog only since.

When I saw the specs for the XDeep (which I would use as a backup) one of the points that took my attention was the compass. I imagine the LED screen will defintely increase readability in low vision situations.

However ongoing delivery problems as well as other config issues with the XDeep have refrained me from buying it (yet).

So, to answer the OP's question:

Analog compass has my current preference.
Investigating in the digital compass on the XDeep, but with the idea that the XDeep will be mainly the backup computer that will also be used as compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom