Compass: digital versus analog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it's because I am not a trusting person, but I only use an analog compass underwater. As an example, I have 3 (yes 3) GPS's on my boat, but I always check what they are telling me against an analog magnetic compass.

I have a digital compass on one of my dive computers but found that even when I calibrated it, I was not very impressed with its accuracy underwater. That doesn't count the times the computer failed to turn on underwater or when the battery failed. I normally don't carry a compass for local Catalina diving as I'm pretty familiar with the commonly dived sites (until my Old Timers kicks in anyway). When I travel I do carry an analog compass.

I use the digital compass on my Galileo Sol. Much prefer it to my Suunto SK-7, which, however, I always carry in my pocket for a back-up if ever needed. However, I find the readability, immunity from tilt issues, and combined display on the Galileo (which has abundant room for all information) to be preferable.

Back
Top Bottom