Comparison between top brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was on a hunt for a can light, but abandoned the project for a while... now that I'm back to it, I'm struggling again to see any comparisons of the newest models between competing brands. I would expect that by now, there would be some videos on YouTube comparing LM-32 LED vs. UW LD-35 vs. "H" Focus vs. whatever else came out recently, but I'm struggling to find any. I might be getting senile and unable to use the Google search feature, but regardless... if you have some good links or any insights, please do share, for the benefit of the whole dive community. Thanks!

hard to get someone to get all of the lights together and do a fair comparison. The UWLD comparison video took a lot of time and money to make, and to my knowledge is the only formal one out there. Frankly, that video will tell you most of what you need to know. The LD-35 and LD-26 have almost identical beam patterns, and the LM-32 I think is the same, just a bit more powerful light.

That all being said
UW Light Dude Canister Lights
You can't beat that deal on the UWLD's right now. $1200 for the LD35 with the big battery, that's crazy to pass up if you're looking. Even $750 for the LD15 with the small can is a really good deal

UWLD (Bobby) runs comparisons from time to time but the thing he does better than anyone else is support his lights and their owners. Call him and talk to him for 10 minutes (He will, in all likelihood, answer himself), then call anyone else and see what the feeling is when you hang up.

Bobby has years in caves, training and rebreathers. He was teaching me sidemount long before a sidemount rig existed, so he knows and understands what divers are doing.

During his professional career, he spent years in industrial lighting. Combining the two just made since.

Now, he is a boutique shop touching every one of his lights, kinda like a premier clockmaker. They aren't cheap, but you won't be throwing it away in 5 years either.

That said, the $1200 price quoted by John at NESS for the big light is just a little over cost, a great deal for sure, but you loose out on some of the improvements of the Gen 5.

Again, give Bobby a call first and see what you think!!

The odd thing is, I have not seen even a single video showing LM-32 in the water, and the only videos I have come across showcasing LD-35 were in tandem with powerful video lights, where you can hardly tell what is what (so you cannot really tell yourself whether you are OK with having an 8-degree beam, how much light spill there is, etc.). I guess I am a little surprised that there are not even any amateur-made private videos out there, made with a GoPro, that people would share publicly :confused: Do you have any personal videos on YouTube or Vimeo that you might not mind opening for public consumption? I really love the amateur video demoing the LM-26. Whoever made this video did a fantastic job highlighting the differences, and deserves a BIG THANKS, and a BIG BEAR HUG for their wonderful contribution.

Halcyon seems to get lots of positive feedback, but as a happy owner of a $200 backup with very similar specs (BigBlue CF900, 900 lumens, adjustable focus down to 7°), I feel a bit lukewarm about paying 700% the price for what appears to be fairly similar hardware, except the fancy brand name, a longer burn time that I do not really need, and a cord that makes it DIR-compliant. Also, I do not understand why after doing all the research, and having allegedly a superior technology, "H" would decide against releasing the detailed specs to the public. I am a happy owner of much of "H" equipment, and with a bit more transparency, I would have been strongly biased in their favor...

There are other variables I am taking into account, e.g., the possibility of attaching heating equipment, E/O cords, etc. I know that something is apparently cooking up in UWLD that could meet my needs, not sure how soon it will hit the market.

( BTW, as far as I can tell that deal at NESS, all sold out. )

I have a UWLD 35 and a LM 26 watt LED (same as Lm 32 watt just not as bright) for normal clear water diving the Bobby light is my goto light. It is way brighter than the LM light. Don't confuse watts with Lumens. The switch on the head is so much more convenient and the beam is wider and I can see alot more cave with it than the LM light. Now if I know the viz is going to have alot of particulate in it I dive the LM 26 watt LED. Both companies really stand behind their products so I don't think you could really go wrong with either one of them. My determining factor would be the viz you normally dive. I have never been in the water with a Halcyon Focus but the light head is huge and would be my last choice out of the 3 lights you named.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom