Compact & RAW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife gave me $500 and told me to buy an UW camera :D . I'm up for padding that amount some to get what I want. So I've been researching UW cameras and want to ask the Forum what I'm missing:

- I want to shoot RAW. I like the work process and have the necessary hardware/software. I would prefer not to hack a Canon to get RAW capability.

- I want a compact camera, as pictures will be secondary to the diving itself. No strobes yet. I know - quality will suffer. I'll make do with the internal flash for now.

- I'll be shooting pictures for memories and to show the family. Mostly wide angle (no adapters yet) and pretty fishes.

- would like to shoot short video clips and would prefer HD.

- I want to start out with a camera that will grow with me should I decide to expand my gear with strobe(s) and such.

For compacts that seem to fit the bill I've so far found Canon G10, Nikon P6000, Sea & Sea DX-1G, and if I go with an (expensive) 3rd party housing the Panasonic LX3 may be an option too.

The Canon G10 seems to be the obvious choice with good specs, lots of housing options and 3rd party support. Many UW photographers have taken stunning pictures with the G10. But I think, as the technology is developing now, that Canon missed the mark in their choice of sensor (noise) and the slow lens compared to earlier G-models.

The Nikon gets mixed reviews, especially for the price.

Don't know much about the DX-1G

The Panasonic LX3 looks like it would be a great UW compact - and it got a nice write-up in "Underwater Photography" issue 47. Of course the least expensive housing is about $650 :shocked2: The LX3 seems to compare well with the G10 in some reviews, less so in others. None of the housings for the LX3 allows the use of the internal flash.

So; am I missing any brands/models?

Other thoughts?

Thanks

Henrik
Compact Camera with RAW capability & Housing for under $500:

Canon S60 Powershot on ebay ($230)

Also at Amazon (for price comparison):
S60
Underwater Housing

Some sample pictures taken by the system in Indonesia.

Hi Kevrumbo; Thanks for looking out.

I've decided on getting a Canon housing for my wife's Canon SD880 ... for now.

Reasoning;
- it's a not terribly expensive way to get a few shots underwater.
- housing may be of some use in other camera-hostile environments; beach, snow etc.
- I get a chance to see if UW photography is something I want to pursue and can wait and see what comes down the pipeline wrt. high-end compacts.

Risk;
- better not flood that camera ... =:0

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom