Compact & RAW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I'd say the G9 (discontinued) with a Patima housing (discounted) fits those citeria. Others would say the G10 in the FIX housing with the WA adaptor does.

But you are then looking at something like $1,000 for housing and another $500 for WA lens.

Gotcha. I think it does depend on exactly what you consider "compact". I'd love the above features in a true compact form factor (think Elph line with manual controls and a hot shoe/TTL!).

I like the wide(r) angle the G10 brings to the table... it's a tempting upgrade from my S80. But then they went and mucked with things and added so many compromises in other areas, including the absurd oval ports, that I still haven't been able to find the perfect answer.

Gotcha. I think it does depend on exactly what you consider "compact". I'd love the above features in a true compact form factor (think Elph line with manual controls and a hot shoe/TTL!).

I like the wide(r) angle the G10 brings to the table... it's a tempting upgrade from my S80. But then they went and mucked with things and added so many compromises in other areas, including the absurd oval ports, that I still haven't been able to find the perfect answer.

The world really needs a ruggedized elph with manaul controls and three or four X zoom, 35 to 105 etc.

N

The world really needs a ruggedized elph with manaul controls and three or four X zoom, 35 to 105 etc.

N

From your lips...

As long as we're dreaming, make it waterproof like the Olympus 1030sw!

I prefer wide(ish) angle, though. 28mm makes a big difference when you're trying to take a photo of people on the other side of the table at a crowded restaurant.

So what you're looking for is a compact camera for UW photography that shoots raw AND has good write times AND supports good add-ons for wide angle work??

What, am I asking too much .....?? :wink:

But yes, you're correct. You're also making a good point about the definition of "compact".

Diverrex; nice idea for a rig - but out of my current budget :)

Nemrod; make that zoom start at 24mm or 28mm and I'd be with you. But then that's starting to sound like the Panasonic LX3.

Compudude beat me to it.

Henrik

From your lips...

As long as we're dreaming, make it waterproof like the Olympus 1030sw!

I prefer wide(ish) angle, though. 28mm makes a big difference when you're trying to take a photo of people on the other side of the table at a crowded restaurant.

I know what you mean but I don't use my camera tha tI have invested in housings and flashes and lenses etc for naything but underwater. I have other cameras that are not dedicated to underwater use for getting lost, dropping in the snow etc.

The problem with the 28mm lens is optimization with wet lenses that mostly universally work best with approx 35mm equivalent or close. See, what I want is a rugged, small, capable camera that can takes pics above the water if need be but is optimal for underwater use instead of the other way around. The Inon AD28 lenses are bayonet mount and they are set up for 28mm native lenses but by the time you put an adapter on them for non specifgic threaded port housings they are to far away and vignetter--nope--my dream is a small, rugged, RAW capable, camera, similar ot an elph, not unlike the new Nikon P6000 range with a dedicated rugged housing designed to accept off the shelf wet lenses. Just a dream, but we can dream cannot we, even with the stock market going to zero, we can dream of glory days.

The Nikonos III format is the bomb, make it digital and a a removable camera so it is small in the pocket, please! You know, I realize y'all hate me going on, but that Inon 165AD fisheye is an extraordinary optic needing a camera of equal capability to mate with it. Then we would be cooking with gas.

N

Read about half way through this:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
New shooters that are taking up underwater photography as a serious hobby share the desires of advanced SLR shooters looking for a professional grade compact system. The Canon G10 with a Fisheye FIX G10 housing is a perfect match for both types of underwater photographers. The image quality of the Canon G10 is the best we've seen in any compact camera. This system has become our top demo unit in the shop with the staff drawing lots to determine who gets the next dive. In addition to the 15mm wide port

>>>>>>Fisheye is rumored to be developing an even wider angle option.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The optional depth rating of up to 100 meters has captured the tech diving crowd and when packaged with a Sea & Sea YS-110alpha strobe, TTL exposures are accurate and easy. A complete package of camera, housing, wide port, and strobe will set one back about $2800, but this solid system will be shooting and diving for many years to come.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It says they are developing a wider lens option than the not so wide and barely wide angle flat port so called 15MM lens. If they do I might have to raid the piggy bank--again.

N

A complete package of camera, housing, wide port, and strobe will set one back about $2800, but this solid system will be shooting and diving for many years to come.

and therein lies the rub :)

Henrik

and therein lies the rub :)

Henrik

Getting good underwater photos isn't cheap. As digital compact cameras and OEM housing have become reasonably priced the last few years people who never before would have thought of an underwater system are now interested. Except they want to be able to take photos like they see in the magazine, and that just won't happen on the cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom