Compact flash or microdrive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeqP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have searched the forum for information pertaining to the use of compact flash or microdrives. What I found was that almost everyone poster liked the compact flash over the microdrive due to its solid state construction whereas the microdrive has moving parts and was sensitive to vibrations.
Is this still the case with the microdrives? I am getting ready to buy a large size storage device for my C5060, was contemplating the 2gb microdrive for $119, but after reading some posts from last year, it has me concerned. Should I go with the consensus and buy compact flash 1gb 80x for $100? Are there any preferences in manufacturers, i.e. Delkin, Lexar, Sandisk?

Thank you for your input,
Phil

Compact flash is more reliable. Even with the redesign that Hitachi did. Solid state compact flash is more reliable. Microdrives use more power too.

With that said I have 2 1GB microdrives and 2 1GB compact flash. Hitachi just came out with a 6GB Microdrive for MSRP 299.99 so temping.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05022401hitachi_6gb microdrive.asp

now the devils advocate :)

Apples ipod Mini uses a Microdive
Creeative MuVo
Creative Zen
many more mp3 players...

They all use microdives. That can't that bad now. :)

TeqP:
I have searched the forum for information pertaining to the use of compact flash or microdrives. What I found was that almost everyone poster liked the compact flash over the microdrive due to its solid state construction whereas the microdrive has moving parts and was sensitive to vibrations.
Is this still the case with the microdrives? I am getting ready to buy a large size storage device for my C5060, was contemplating the 2gb microdrive for $119, but after reading some posts from last year, it has me concerned. Should I go with the consensus and buy compact flash 1gb 80x for $100? Are there any preferences in manufacturers, i.e. Delkin, Lexar, Sandisk?

Thank you for your input,
Phil

I do not know about the new microdrives's reliability, but i have read that they take 2x the power of CF - enough reason on its own to use CF.

Form my 5050, Olympus (according to its telephone tech support) tech support only "guarantees" to work with 1MB Cf from Sandisk and Lexar. I do not know about Delkin, but I do know that my el cheapo Pretec DID NOT WORK! I returned it for a Sandisk - no problems now.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to play it safe and went with a couple of 1gb compact flash cards. May still buy a microdrive at a later date, but don't want a problem with my storage media on my trip to Thailand.

TeqP:
Thanks for the replies. I decided to play it safe and went with a couple of 1gb compact flash cards. May still buy a microdrive at a later date, but don't want a problem with my storage media on my trip to Thailand.

MicroDrives were popular for one reason, and one alone. COST!

There was a time when CF flash storeage was a couple bucks per MB. A 256 CF card ran over $500. At THAT time the 500MB Microdrive was less than $500, and for those that had higher res cameras (the D1x at 6-mpix was VERY high RES for the day) the microdrive was an affordable option. BUT there were (and are) compatability issues, and a MUCH MUCH higher rate of failure vs. CF.

A CF card one can basically run over with a truck, and still get the data off the thing. Microdrive, drop it, and it may never work again, and data recovery is difficult.

Now with storage so cheap, IMO forget the Microdrive solution PERIOD for storage media in digital still cameras.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom