Commercial Permits on Maui (split off from Premier Scuba Maui)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok.....what exactly does the commercial permit enforce that makes Molokini safer?

If you can't see how this is not in the spirit of a FREE MARKET society...or of the freedom that this country supposedly provides and is now being attacked by some pohdung county government we have problems.

The Molokini Commercial Permits are to limit negative human impact on the Marine Ecosystem; they are not a safety permit, except from the perspective of the marine inhabitants. These State regulations went into effect in 1995. I worked on the Lahaina Princess Molokini snorkel charters the summer of '93. The fish and coral in Molokini were not as healthy, not as colorful and not as abundant as they are now!

State of Hawaii Commercial Boating Regulations have been legislated to some extent because of incidences at Molokini. Captains must remain on board the vessel now, instead of being able to dive guide before. The incidents at Molokini were probably not the only ones, but they were high profile and definitely contributed to the legislation. Bubble Watchers are required for drift dives with more than 6 guided divers (or perhaps except for 6-pac boats?). Again, the incidents at Molokini were probably not the only ones, but they were high profile and definitely contributed to the legislation. These regulations apply to all State waters, not just Molokini.

Ok....got it. So change the "podungh county" to "state"...everything else I still take issue with, not that it matters....we don't have to agree. I was just curious how these permits were being distributed, which has been answered.

Well, one kayak company launched from the Landing, there were two or three other trailers o'kayaks just south (before the turn up mauka to Makena Alanui) at the little beach. Still part of Dowlings kingdom, but likely not part of the actual parkland.

One of the kayak companies that returned to the area "south" of the landing around 10:45AM today, used the dive flags along the landing area as slalom poles. I was a little too slow on the camera today so no picture..... I've almost been run over MANY times at the landing beach area by the tour companies so I was peeved that the kayak tour leader seemed to go out of his way to lead his kayaks through the dive flags, he came within a yard of them.

so ... where can I find these new rules that went into effect September 1st?

There aren't any "new rules" per se -- just that Makena Landing is apparently now "off-limits" to commercial use. As mentioned, some are hoping that they'll get a ticket or otherwise be restricted from beach access so they have something to take to court.

One of the kayak companies that returned to the area "south" of the landing around 10:45AM today, used the dive flags along the landing area as slalom poles. I was a little too slow on the camera today so no picture..... I've almost been run over MANY times at the landing beach area by the tour companies so I was peeved that the kayak tour leader seemed to go out of his way to lead his kayaks through the dive flags, he came within a yard of them.

Aerodog -- we were there around the same time! We got out of the water at 10:30... which direction were you headed then?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom