Commercial Permits on Maui (split off from Premier Scuba Maui)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am guilty as charged, of questioning Go Dive Maui (also known as Premier Dive Maui) with respect to permits and integrity, and I now wish I had not web surfed to the Hawaii O'hana directly from reading the Maui News letters to the editor web comments on TVR related issues and the GPAC 2030 master plan for the paving of Maui. I mistakenly injected my unhappiness with the current permit disaster all over this once friendly island, in a possibly slanderous way and I wish to apologize to all those I have offended, especially Gerry if and when he reads these posts.

I do stand by my answer to Hue about the reason Molokini is protected and who issues the permits, but this thread deserves to die quickly, IMHO.

ok.....what exactly does the commercial permit enforce that makes Molokini safer? Do they come and have a Molokini police at Molokini that the permit money pays for? Is there some sort of Molokini monitoring service in place, or is there a criminal background check to get these permits....?

Or is it just that the county collects money and selects at random who may or may not operate? Who decides who gets a permit and who doesn't and on what merits? What process is used to vet these businesses?

I am sorry, but when I go to a super market I want more than one selection of Bananas and no democratic government is going to force the supermarket to only sell brand XYZ unless it is not safe for consumption.

If you can't see how this is not in the spirit of a FREE MARKET society...or of the freedom that this country supposedly provides and is now being attacked by some pohdung county government we have problems.

I have no dog in this fight...I don't stand to lose or make money...I just say how I perceive it...

I see no problem in the government stepping in when a unique natural resource is about to be lost, perhaps permanently. A free market society would have eventually left Molokini barren except for fields of algae and swarms of black tang.

I ask again, how does a commercial permit protect molokini....

Shamefully not very well, when my wife and I were there 2 years ago the Maui Dive Shop snorkel trip we were on was feeding the fish like nobody's business.

But that said I do think such a small area needs some kind of limitations on access so it is not overwhelmed and destroyed. But the permit fees need to be spent on enforcement so the site is actually protected (as opposed to theoretical protection), not to buy a county comissioners a new ivory backscratcher.

I agree that molokini needs to be protected, I just have issues of HOW it is being done. I guess I would really like to know how the permits are being handed out....who decides who gets a permit and who doesn't. If it's a lottery I am all for it, but I suspect it's some BS "who knows who game"

IIRC, its the same process as the beach permits -- there is no process.

If you want a commercial permit, you have to buy a business that has one. In fact, that too may have changed to not allow transfers of ownership...

I don't believe they are issuing new permits, period.

Oh, on this note, let me tell you about Makena Landing today -- yes, it's after Sep 1, so the new "rules" are supposed to be in effect.

Well, one kayak company launched from the Landing, there were two or three other trailers o'kayaks just south (before the turn up mauka to Makena Alanui) at the little beach. Still part of Dowlings kingdom, but likely not part of the actual parkland.

And just for kicks, I drove through the Ulua area... and lo and behold, there were four Kayaks lined up on the south side of the concrete area near the washrooms, and a trailer (with vehicle parked next to it) taking up spaces in the upper lot.

Why is it that this appears to have caused more problems than it solved?

Kayaks at Ulua now? That's gonna raise some eyebrows and cause even more congestion. Great! Go Tamara! You're doing a great job for the people and the parks of Maui!!!

I suspect that the kayakers are still at Makena Landing based on Dowling claiming that 'his' park is zoned 'PK1' when we all now know it is only zoned 'PK'. (Big difference actually). They are probably hoping to get either ticketed, kicked out or arrested so they can let a judge have a look at this BS and make a decision on what is really the case.

ok.....what exactly does the commercial permit enforce that makes Molokini safer? Do they come and have a Molokini police at Molokini that the permit money pays for? Is there some sort of Molokini monitoring service in place, or is there a criminal background check to get these permits....?

Or is it just that the county collects money and selects at random who may or may not operate? Who decides who gets a permit and who doesn't and on what merits? What process is used to vet these businesses?

I am sorry, but when I go to a super market I want more than one selection of Bananas and no democratic government is going to force the supermarket to only sell brand XYZ unless it is not safe for consumption.

If you can't see how this is not in the spirit of a FREE MARKET society...or of the freedom that this country supposedly provides and is now being attacked by some pohdung county government we have problems.

I have no dog in this fight...I don't stand to lose or make money...I just say how I perceive it...

S&D, did you read my post #16 in this thread? Molokini is not under Maui County jurisdiction.

Molokini is a State Marine Life and Bird Conservation District.

Commercial Operator Permits are issued by the State Division of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR).

The existing permits are the only permits. If you want one you must purchase one of the existing businesses that have one. Just doing that is not a guarantee the permit will be valid. You must also meet the requirements of operation, set by the State.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom