Commercial Beach Dive Sat 7/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedive

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if any one was planning on diving the pier at Commercial on Sat morning. I may not have a buddy available (not sure yet). Hoping to join one or a group if possible to get wet

Thanks.

Marvel & I will dive with you on Saturday. Hope to see you Sunday as well.

Know where you want to go yet? I have "the book" and we've done a lot of shore diving there, but its your call. Earlier is better for parking... maybe 8AM?

I'll PM you with my cell. Call anytime.

Ahem... JENNY! What time can you make it?

Anybody else?

freedive once bubbled...
Hi,

I was wondering if any one was planning on diving the pier at Commercial on Sat morning. I may not have a buddy available (not sure yet). Hoping to join one or a group if possible to get wet

Thanks.

Hey Mike,
That sounds great, Since my buddies introduced me to that location I have only gone diving in the section one block south of the pier parking on Datura ave I think (shower and a covered prep station with benches). I know getting there early is the trick for parking though 8 or 8:30 usually works but if you have another spot that you prefer let me know, I would like to take a peek at your "book" for other locations .
recently being SSI certified, I find beach dives are the best and economical ways to gain experience and log dives to increase my level of certification.
Walter thanks for the offer, that certainly sounds like fun and I would like to meet the other divers. Unfortunately Sunday I have already have plans with the wife and kiddies. I'll certainly keep an eye out for other similar events though.

Juan

OK, that's where we dove from last night. Visability is very good right now. We're headed out now for another shore dive, so I guess we'll pick someplace else for a change!

See you at 8:00 AM, OK? Bring quarters (as you know). I have a flag and will bring pineapple for afterward!

Anybody else- join in! PM me and I'll send you my cell.

Ahem... JENNY! What time can you make it?
I wish I could say I will be thinking about you, but the reality is my brain will be screaming as I try to pass my math test! Sat afternoon or evening is better for me!
And of course Sunday!

OK, here's the Saturday AM dive -

Datura Avenue, 1 street south of Commercial in Ft. Lauderdale. Juan told me that this is his old haunt. It is not in the book. I'm assuming from what is north that we'll see lots of honeycomb reef & related critters. I want turtle!!! And octopus!!!

Directions:
East on Commercial to end, make right, make first left, find parking.

I drive a white Jeep Liberty and will display a dive flag on the antenna or somewhere.

Time:
8AM sharp... well, Juan says he might be a little late since he is coming up from Miami for this one.

Dive:
1 tank, should last 1.5 hours. Depth is only about 18' and visibility has been very good the last couple of days.

Bring:
Nothing... I'll have one fresh pineapple for post dive.

If anybody needs more info, PM me and I'll send my cell number.

Mike - IMHO the Datura Ave site is a better dive than north of the Commercial Pier. It's an even better dive from the seaward side off a boat, but as beach dives go...:D

Wish I could join you, but I'll see you guys on Sunday.

Marc

Well, I'm too lazy to log out and back in as myself, so just so that nobody (ahem, like MARVEL) thinks I'm trying to pull a fast one this is Mike.

Great time - no real surge or current this morning and visibilty is returning to its pre-July levels.

The dive site was pretty much like most along that area, not as much honeycomb but lots of outcroppings and hidey-holes.

No lobster, and we asked ourselves afterward where all the fish went... but it was better than sleeping in and I *did* need my compressed air fix.

Thanks Marvel & Juan... enjoyed meeting your friends, Juan, and I hope their dive went as well as ours!

MikeJacobs (not Marvel)

Hey Mike/Marvel,
Thanks for coming down and joining me Sat. It was a pleasure meeting both of you and quite a nice dive. I even improved my breathing rate quite a bit on the second dive thanks to Marvels tips. I actually extended my bottom time by a full ten minutes on the next dive !!! I still have room for improvement but that was great.
On the second dive we saw a 8-10 foot moray eel and a few lobsters on the first reef and towards the end of the dive I caught a glimpse of the back half of a shark that was passing close by that kinda stunned me because it was not one of the local nurse sharks there. The tail looked similar to a tarpon tail and the distance between the top tip and bottom tip of the tail I would say was approx 3 feet. I know things look 25% bigger in the water but this was a BIG shark. After he passed by we/I never saw him again.
Mike we may try the Oakland Park Blvd. site next week, that also seemed like a nice reef to try in your book. I will be in touch for some details later in the week regarding were to park and such and of course if you want to suck some gas.....

Regards,
Juan

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom