Comments from those who have dove Trilam AND Neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've been thinking and wondering and I can't seem to deciede.
I read A TON of posts and I know all the standard answers:

What I want to know is: of those of you that have owned both trilam and neoprene dry suits....

if you were to buy another suit now
WHICH would you buy?

If it matters for the discussion this will be a cave diving suit.

-mike

I have had a trilam, a crushed neoprene, a regular neoprene, and a vulcanized rubber suit. A neoprene suit would be the last on my list of suits to use again. The trilam is the first. Much more comfortable, better for a variety of reasons....

Brent

Trilam
1) Vastly better control over your insulation levels and required weighting anywhere you dive. 2) And you will totally roast in most neoprene suits in FL

I have had 2 trilams and 1 neoprene and I'd never buy a neoprene again

I have had both a Trilam and a 7 mil regular neoprene with latex seals. I will go with regular neoprene any time. (still diving on today)

The fit of the neoprene suit is "almost" the same as diving a wetsuit, I use the same underware for all conditions from 40 deg to 80 deg, there is less drag and it drys in about the same time as a Trilam. I dive my suit year round from FL to VA.

The key it to have latex seal installed.

just my 2 psi

I've dove shells and neoprene. No preference; each has its advantages and disadvantages. I do prefer neoprene seals to latex.

Rocky shore diving,
cold water (below 58F for me),
dives longer than an hour:
Crushed neoprene:
  • Tough: It protects me from rocks and impact and wears like iron over the boulders.
  • Warm: The suit offers more insulation from the cold feel of the water.
  • Stable buoyancy: The suit itself is uniformly buoyant at all depths and I find it easier to maintain neutral buoyancy throughout multilevel dives as the suit buoyancy is not 100% due to the air inside. I LOVE the feeling of lying on a magic carpet of buoyancy. My trim in the trilam is more sensitive to air movement within the suit.
  • Drying time (with fans) = 1 to 2 days
Warmer waters (above 63F for me),
multiple dives from a boat,
long hikes to access points,
hot sun:
Trilam:
  • easier to wear out of the water,
  • drastically lighter than crushed neo when wet,
  • easier to don and doff on a moving boat deck,
  • easier to hang on a boat during surface intervals, and
  • in case of leaks you can turn the suit inside out easily and it will dry in 30 to 60 minutes depending on air temperature.
  • Drying time = 1 to 2 hours, or less.
I've dived 250+ in a crushed neo in my home SoCal ocean.
I've recently dived from local shore and boat in a borrowed trilam.
In a perfect world, I would own one of each.

Have fun!

In a prefect world, I would own one of each.

That's why I do . . . Or almost, at least.

HBDG nailed it. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. GUE prefers trilam because of the lightness, the ability to layer underneath it, and its rapid drying characteristics. I ended up getting a compressed neoprene suit for our colder water temperatures because I simply couldn't layer enough under my trilam suit for winter diving.

I have owned and dove two trilams and have dove and owned two neoprene suits.

I prefer and dive a neoprene suit. In extremely cold water the neoprene suit is warmer and it can be dove with much less bulky underwear while still keeping you warm. I should add here that I also dive reasonably deep to 150 ft dephts with 35-39 degree F bottom temps, so they are still warm at depth despite years of DUI propoganda that contends otherwise.

Neoprene suits also swim very much like a wet suit with virtually none of the bulkiness and wrinkles that accompany trilam dry suits. The inherent stretch of the fabric allows much more flexibility with a very trim and close fitting cut to the suit. Trilams have to be long in the torso and loose generally everywhere to allow full range of motion with the non stretching fabric. So in my experience a neoprene suit is much lower drag than a trilam and leaves you with at least as much or flexibility. Plus in my experience, you can go head down/feet up ina neoprene suit with no concern for losing control and no need to resort to a tuck and roll to recover to a normal swimming position.

This is due in part to the closer fit of a neoprene suit but also to the ability for the diver to dive with much less air a neoprene suit as the squeeze that accompanies an under inflated neoprene suit is not the painful pinching variety that you get in a trilam suit.

It's true you can quickly over heat in a neoprene suit in hot weather so careful planning with all gear prep being done prior to suiting up is important. However, a quick dip to get the suit wet results in it functioning like a large swamp cooler and the heat absorbed by the evaporating water cools the suit and keeps you reasonably comfortable. In cold weather this can work against you however, so after a winter ice dive, expecially in windy weather, I will immediately don a wind proof rain suit over the neoprene dry suit to minimize evaporatative cooling and keep warm during the surface interval.

A trilam probably lasts 2-3 time longer than a neoprene suit, but it also costs 3-4 times as much to start with so it's a question of owning one trilam until it dies or going with 2 or 3 neoprene suits (each with new zippers, valves, boots, and seals) that consequently do not cost money to replace as they would on a trilam. In the end, the 2 or 3 neoprene suits are still cheaper in the long run.

Neoprene seals are also much warmer and much more durable. It's rare to ever have to change them out on a neoprene suit. However if you do get a leak in the fabric itself, it's a bit harder to find and fix than on a trilam.

Weight wise, I dive virtually the same weight with either a trilam or neoprene drysuit. Older neoprene suits with chest mounted exhaust valves did require lots of additional weight due to greater trapped air space, but there is not any difference between with modern neoprene suits and trilams with regard to weight requirements.

First of all, rent the suits you are looking at before you dive. I wish I had done that first. After owning two suits and renting several types I went with the DUI CF200 and have never regretted it. Neoprene feels so much better than a bag suit I can't praise them enough. My second favorite was a 7 mil dry suit. I replaced it with the DUI.

Charles

WOW thanks guys (and gals) that was really really helpful
I think I will go with Neoprene
Unfortunately renting dry suits is really not an option in Florida
thanks
-Mike

Back
Top Bottom