Comfort Zone Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcj11516

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi , I am looking to buy my first dry suit and have been looking at a line call Comfort Zone. It is a neoprene suit and I was told a very well made suit, was wondering if anyone
else is diving them? I don't have anyone around my area who rents dry suit so i am asking lots of question. If you have any ideas please let me know. Also what are the advantage of neoprene besides
less under garments
thanks
:confused:

Welcome to Scubaboard dcj11516:

You will find lots of good info here. There are plenty of experienced dry suit divers here who can offer opinions and suggestions.

It might be wise to start with a search for older threads on the same topic.

We make 4mm microcell neoprene suits. Low drag, very flexible with less bulk, insulating qualities, etc.
http://www.apollosportsusa.com/documents/catalog_2013/Suits_20120728.

If possible rent a few suits and take a drysuit class. You will have a lot of fun, diving warm and comfortable year round in your local waters.
Whatever your choice, good luck and safe diving.

I don't know that particular suit, but here's some information about dry suits in general:

Neoprene suits tend to be less expensive (not always, but often). They have significant intrinsic insulating capacity, but lose some of that with depth, just as wetsuits do. You don't have to wear as thick an undergarment with them, but you may get cold on deeper dives. Like all neoprene, the suit will have a lifetime of compression/rebound cycles, after which it loses a lot of its warmth. Neoprene suits have intrinsic buoyancy, so they make buoyancy control a little more difficult. They are heavy (matters if you want to fly with your suit) and dry relatively slowly. Depending on the neoprene, they may have some stretch, and because of it, they can be cut closer to the body, and streamline a bit better.

Laminate suits have no intrinsic insulating capacity, so they're quite versatile as far as use in varying water temperatures goes (just change the undergarments). They have no buoyancy issues, and the warmth doesn't change with depth. They don't stretch (there are a couple of exceptions, but even those don't stretch much) so they have to be cut generously enough to permit range of motion. As a consequence, they don't have a smooth exterior and increase diver drag. They dry very quickly and are lighter than neoprene, but also more fragile. They vary widely in price, depending on cut, the nature of the fabric (bilam versus trilam) and brand.

Compressed or crushed neoprene suits have a little intrinsic insulating capacity, but not a great deal, and they do not change buoyancy with depth. They tend to be very tough, but they are also heavy and dry slower than laminate suits. They have little to no stretch, so again, must be cut generously or they will impede motion. They tend to be pretty expensive.

If most of your diving is local or you drive to do it, and your dives are relatively shallow, a neoprene suit can be a good, inexpensive option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom