Comal River Report from Feb 17, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
Shaggie and I went to the Comal River today. The air was sunny, very breezy and in the 50's.

If you haven't been to the park where the diving entry is located, you are in for a treat. It's very pretty with a few concrete-slabbed picnic tables, restrooms with running water, and two fantastic entry spots.

The water temp was 71 degrees. We swam against the current down to where the river visibly narrows. We saw several sun fish. Many of them were a brilliant shade of orange-ish red. There were a few ciclids and several large striped fish. (Not sure what they were as I'm not up on fresh-water fish....but whatever they were, I'm sure many fishermen would love to encounter them!) We also saw two turtles.

As I neared the point of exhaustion and subsequent cardio-pulmonary collapse, Shaggie was gracious enough to allow us to turn around and swim WITH the current. Whew! Much better...I'm feeling muuucccch better....this is almost as good as Cozumel....ahhhhh. Effort while diving? Not THIS cowgirl! If there isn't someone named Pedro to carry my gear, put it on my back and do the finning when I am tired, then it's just too strenuous.

Good diving!

Hemlon:
Shaggie and I went to the Comal River today. The air was sunny, very breezy and in the 50's.

If you haven't been to the park where the diving entry is located, you are in for a treat. It's very pretty with a few concrete-slabbed picnic tables, restrooms with running water, and two fantastic entry spots.

Good diving!

Can you tell me exactly where the entry and exit points are? I live in Seguin, and am familiar with New Braunfels and Landa Park. I've been wanting to dive the Comal... Thanks!

I am NEVER the person to ask for directions...hehe.

But we parked by a public restroom, walked down a small hill to the river and the entry points were clearly visible.

Hemlon, what time were you there? We had a group of about 10 there from about 1 till 5:30 with the BBQ going and I had my black lab, Dixie, w/ me. I wish I had known you were there, would have loved to met you.

Are you talking about the Bass? Did you see any of the giant Plecos or crawfish? It was pretty murky today w/ all of the classes going.

MF, the best place to park is by the restroom by the golf course and the playground. Walk upstream on the sidewalk and put in at the furthest stairs upstream. I usually swim upstream to the railroad bridge turn around, drift almost down to the slide, turn around again and swim back up to the stairs right by the car.

If you ever want to go, let me know. I'm there quite a bit.

Joe

Joe,

We were there during that time! I am betting that your group was sitting at the picnic table next to ours.

PS- I just PM'ed you!

The vis upstream from the last set of stairs was very good, I'd say at least 25ft. You're right about down in the deep end of the pool, with all the students it was less the great, plus alot more trash laying on the bottom. We did see some plecos and a some crawfish carcases. Lots of nice healthy bass, sunfish, one large blue catfish some large ciclids, turtles and divers.
I always wonder how come the ciclids never look very healthy? They always seem to have sores and icky stuff on them.
Nice dive.

joetex0777:
If you ever want to go, let me know. I'm there quite a bit.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. It might be a few weeks... I have a hammering head cold after spending the weekend at Aquarena, and we're going to Coz for Spring Break March 9-15. It will be a struggle getting work and chores in order before we leave.

mfpikeil:
Can you tell me exactly where the entry and exit points are? I live in Seguin, and am familiar with New Braunfels and Landa Park. I've been wanting to dive the Comal... Thanks!

Hinman Island Park: IH-35 to New Braunfels, Exit 187 Seguin Ave, go west on Seguin Ave to the Square of town, take the first right off the traffic circle going around the Square onto San Antonio Street. Cross the river and take the first left onto Liberty Ave. Take the first left that Y's off (past the entrance to Prince Solms Park) onto Hinman Island Dr. There is parking on the left side of the road and ramps and stairs down to the river

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Hinman Island Park: IH-35 to New Braunfels, Exit 187 Seguin Ave, go west on Seguin Ave to the Square of town, take the first right off the traffic circle going around the Square onto San Antonio Street.

The town square is on a traffic circle!!!! It almost like being back in New Jersey.:D

Take Common St. until it ends in a "t", at that point take a diaganol right turn and follow about a quater mile till you see the resrooms/changing facilities on left. Landa Park golf course is across the street. There is a kiddy park and ramps down to the river.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom