Comal river dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I need a little info. I'll be diving the Comal river with some friends after labor day. Haven't been there/done that yet. We're going to nose around (not over!) the tube shoot. Where is a good place to park and meet?

John

I was there in early August. We parked at Landa (I think) park. Basically take the loop west to Commons St. Turn left and follow it until it ends at Landa Park. You can park your car there and walk down to the river (100-300 yds, depending on where you park). This park is right at the tube chute. There are nice concrete steps for you to enter and exit. This was my first time to dive the Comal, so there could be better places to access the river.

Well, I made it back. What a ride! We entered just above the "tubechute" as Dirthead sugested and swam upstream untill we got down to 2000 lbs of air and floated down to the chute. There were lots of large bass, sunfish, catfish and carp. I saw one unusual catfish that was black with extra large fins. I've seen pictures of this fish before but can't remember what kind it is. The vis was about 10 to 15 with a temp of about 72 deg. Max depth was about 15 ft. After we got done upstream of the chute we went around and jumped in again and floated down to the exit below Schlitterban. That was where things got interesting. The depth was anywhere from 2 to 6 ft with mostly fast water. There are some powerful eddys, especialy when you first enter, and 2 small water falls to negotiate. I didn't see any large tree stumps to go around. Lots of rocks and TONS on trash! I wouldn't recomend anything below the Tube Chute unless you don't mind getting banged up some and REALLY want to look for sunglasses and other stuff (I found 3 pairs).

Back
Top Bottom