Comal Mini-cleanup April 26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabum2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few of us from Adventure Scuba in Plano will be coming to down to the Comal on the weekend of April 26 to do a half day cleanup on Saturday of the Last Exit area. I wanted to open this up to any SBers who are in the mood to get wet that day and do something for the environment in conjunction with PADI Project Aware's Dive for Earth week.

We'll meet up at the Last Exit around 9:30AM and start diving around 10:00AM. We're staying at Camp Huaco Springs, so everyone's invited to camp out with us and cookout there on Saturday night.

Last year we had about 10 divers who hauled up enough cans to overflow the bed of an F-150. That's not much in terms of other cleanups but very manageable so we could recycle cans and make a contribution to Project Aware.

Let me know if you're interested!
Mark

I'll be in Balmorhea that weekend, but you will have plenty to clean-up...I just dove the lower Comal yesterday, and saw a variety of beer cans, some power/energy drink cans, even a full Coke bottle. Also found some nice snorkeling equipment and a couple of masks, along with a variety of...ummm...garments. :blinking:

My LDS in San Antonio typically does a Sunday morning dive there too, if you want to recruit them to help out, let me know, and I will talk with the owner. :14:

We did a cleanup after the last of the summer tubers last year and hauled out 3 pickups worth of "stuff"...and last weekend someone found an old pistol! :11: Pretty crazy stuff!!!

Hey bluec5, thanks for the status report. I'll pass it along at the meeting next Monday. Those garments sometimes include cash, so I never forsake searching them, even if there's a mudbug camping out in the pockets.

We'll probably be leaving out Sunday morning, but if anyone is interested in making Saturday dives, we'll be there. We're staying at Huaco at sites Z30 & Z32 where the cookout will be..

Saw a couple of mudbugs last night, and again, the few cans and articles of clothing. Night diving it is a whole different experience, to be sure!

Cheers! And have fun in the warm water...was about 73-75°F last night between 8:30 - 9:30pm before the storms hit.

Last Exit is the last place that Comal tubers can get out before the Comal merges with the Guadalupe. If you take S Union and go southeast a few blocks past the Schlitterbahn, you dead end into Lincoln. Less than a block northeast on E Lincoln is the last exit. The entrance looks like a big canopy from the street and has a long flight of stairs going down to the Comal.

One other important thing for any interested divers. Park your car on the street facing the same direction as traffic flow. The police rigorously enforce this. Also, I believe the parking signs noted that you are able to park on the street until Apr 30 (beginning of the high season). If they've changed the laws since last year, we'll make some alternative parking arrangements nearby, no worries.

bluec5, thanks again for the update. I've only dove near sunset, but those crawfish started coming out in droves once the daylight started disappearing. I hope we can go back in the late afternoon and do a 40 min drift dive from the bridge on Lincoln to Last Exit, a fun joyride.

That area is around 15 feet in the middle. As you go nearer the banks, I believe its more like 10 feet. For me, the water clarity more than makes up for the depth.

That area is around 15 feet in the middle. As you go nearer the banks, I believe its more like 10 feet. For me, the water clarity more than makes up for the depth.

I totally agree.I like clear verses dark and murky. :D

Back
Top Bottom