Coltri mch6 air leaking back through the air intake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukejjon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,
I have a Coltri mch6 that leaks air out of the air in-take. I don't know if it does it when it's running, but you can hear it once the compressor is turned off. From what I've readi it might be the 4th stage valve, but I wanted to get some advise before I start pulling stuff apart.
Can any one suggest anything I should check to narrow down the cause if it's not the 4th stage valve?

It is definitely not one of the 4th stage valves. I see:
- Inlet valve 1st stage
- one of the cylinders has a large blow by. This means piston does not seal anymore in cylinder, air passes into crankcase and then into air intake

I expect blow by to be the problem, this often happens on a MCH6 after a few hours. In most of the cases it startes at cylinder no. 4, then cylinder no 3.

The 1st stage inlet valve normaly lastes longer than the whole rest of the compressor which means longer than 50 to 100 hours.

Thanks Agro. According to the previous owner the compressor has only 10 hrs on it, which is why I didn't think it would be worn pistons etc but I guess it's entirely possible the seller didn't provide accurate information.
I think it may have sat for a while without any use - is it possible the rings could be not sealing and need to be run for a while to lossen up (a bit like a combustion engine)?

Thanks Agro. According to the previous owner the compressor has only 10 hrs on it, which is why I didn't think it would be worn pistons etc but I guess it's entirely possible the seller didn't provide accurate information.
I think it may have sat for a while without any use - is it possible the rings could be not sealing and need to be run for a while to lossen up (a bit like a combustion engine)?
I don't know. But I've never heard so.

Have a look at the tube coming out of the crankcase and going into air intake. If you see oilflow inthere then you also have airflow. Or take away this tube and check for airflow. If you have airflow out of crankcase then you have blow by.

If the problem is first stage inlet valve then you have no airflow out of the crankcase, air is coming back from 1st stage.

Back
Top Bottom