Colorado Debutante

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coppermaus

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thought it was time for my coming out on SB. Great site!

Just got back from my first trip to Coz, and now I can't get enough of all things diving. Tonight I'll be checking out the band-aids and hairballs in the rec center pool with much more enthusiasm than usual.

I found this site while trying to get a little more educated after some crazy sh** that went down (and down and down) on a couple dives last week. Already found a great discussion on dealing with when your DM "leads" you down to 160' because of a "broken" depth gauge. Yikes. And the next day could have been way worse. :zap1:

Colorado is supposed to have more divers per capita than any other state. Any mtn folk out there?

Cheers

Welcome coppermaus,

I have heard that about Colorado before - is it really true?

Glad that the incident didn't cause you any serious damage. Jeesh, that guy should be reported.

Do hop over to the Mexico site & post a trip report.

Welcome the the SB from Fort Collins, CO..

coppermaus:
Hey all,

Thought it was time for my coming out on SB. Great site!

Just got back from my first trip to Coz, and now I can't get enough of all things diving. Tonight I'll be checking out the band-aids and hairballs in the rec center pool with much more enthusiasm than usual.

I found this site while trying to get a little more educated after some crazy sh** that went down (and down and down) on a couple dives last week. Already found a great discussion on dealing with when your DM "leads" you down to 160' because of a "broken" depth gauge. Yikes. And the next day could have been way worse. :zap1:

Colorado is supposed to have more divers per capita than any other state. Any mtn folk out there?

Cheers

welcome aboard!!

Sounds like you almost had a terrible experience. At least you learned something from it.

The board is full of experienced people and stories of dives gone bad that are good life lessons for all of us.

Safety is number one and having fun is second.

Enjoy your dives.

Joe

And welcome to SB. :wavey: Put us in your Favorites and check in often.

And be careful about following Dive Guides, as you've just learned. We're each respectively responsible for our own safety, so learn well.

A couple of us or more are headed for Santa Rosa in the morning, if you have cold water gear and would like the practice... :wink:

don

Kat:
Welcome coppermaus,

I have heard that about Colorado before - is it really true?

Hey Kat,

Y'know, it could be one of those urban myths that everyone passes around so much that it becomes a general belief without basis. I searched around on Google for a bit and found numerous sites quoting that statistic, but no one references a source. From purely anecdotal research, it certainly seems possible. Colorado is full of very outdoorsy people and world travellers, and diver down bumper stickers are everywhere.

Do hop over to the Mexico site & post a trip report.

Will do. Thanks for the welcome!

:daisysmil

DandyDon:
And be careful about following Dive Guides, as you've just learned. We're each respectively responsible for our own safety, so learn well.

Indeed, and dive buddies. I'll post a report to get more feedback on what others would have done, since it's sort of a complicated question.

A couple of us or more are headed for Santa Rosa in the morning, if you have cold water gear and would like the practice... :wink:

Are you kidding? And you'll be getting the Joseph's $1.99 breakfast before jumping into the 63* water, I hope! Nothing like grease to keep you warm. Are you taking an OW class there, or is this some crazy version of fun? I'll be down in March as part of my DM work, helping out with the newbies. Do y'all go there much?

Cheers!

coppermaus:
Are you kidding? And you'll be getting the Joseph's $1.99 breakfast before jumping into the 63* water, I hope! Nothing like grease to keep you warm. Are you taking an OW class there, or is this some crazy version of fun? I'll be down in March as part of my DM work, helping out with the newbies. Do y'all go there much?

Since this was your first trip to Coz, I thought that you were a Newbie, but you're working on becoming a DM? :winky2: Anyway, it's my home-buddy who needs the practice; my idea of such is a little beyond that. I'm off to Key Largo in a month for some wreck dives - always fun in a screaming Gulf Stream! :luxhello: We're off to Belize n June, and he wants to qualify for a WWII Wreck Diving trip I do by October.

:approve_2 don

DandyDon:
Since this was your first trip to Coz, I thought that you were a Newbie, but you're working on becoming a DM?

No, sad but true: I've been so poor that I hadn't been diving in the ocean in four years before this trip. Nothing but the swimming pool keeping an eye on the OW kids; Utah, in the weirdest place I've ever gone diving, Bonneville Seabase where the salt flats of Utah are stocked with sharks and a sunken boat; and none other than lovely Santa Rosa, where we take the OW students 3x a year to freeze their hineys off and come out with huge grins on their faces.

Probably the only reason I'm doing my DM is to keep in the water and keep my skills up. Until global warming does its job and I finally have some beach front property in Colorado, these have had to suffice. Well, until Cozumel... :cheeky:

So is Santa Rosa the closest/best place to you for doing check out dives and training stuff? Or do you just love the nightlife?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom