Colleges for Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTX95

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I'm 15 and going to college in 3 years. I'm looking to major in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine. My goal in life is to be a commercial salvage diver and work part-time as an Undersea/Hyperbaric Medicine tech at Geisinger. Anyone know colleges or universities in the US that do this? I know LSU is one, but can't find any others. Thanks.

I'd do the commercial diver course at Santa Barbara Community College as a start.

Wow, it seems REALLY nice. That's just a community college? My local community college is smaller than the high school I go to.

Commercial diving training is usually at trade schools or AS programs at junior collages. Some also offer hyperbaric EMT programs. You might also want to investigate opportunities as a Navy Corpsman and diver. It is my personal observation that the personality type found in good medical technicians and EMTs tend to be much different than successful commercial divers.

This comment is not to discourage you in any way. I only suggest you try to meet people in the commercial diving and hyperbaric medical fields in order to find a path that will match your interests, objectives, and personality. You might want to investigate the commercial diving forum on Scubaboard as well.

Does LSU have an undergraduate hyperbaric program in addition to their fellowship program at the school of medicine? Best of luck in your career.

Well, Duke has a hyperbaric program and it's a little ways south of you.

In general, their program is a little different because they split the clinical years and insert a research year. In most other programs, the 3rd and 4th years are clinical. At Duke, clinical is 2nd and 4th. It takes mental gearshifting to get back in the groove; for some, more than others. Unless you're really into that research gig, it also kind of cramps class time; at least, it felt that way. To each his own.

Good luck.

I don't know much about it, but there is also the commercial diving program at Louisiana Technical College.

Well, Duke has a hyperbaric program and it's a little ways south of you.

In general, their program is a little different because they split the clinical years and insert a research year. In most other programs, the 3rd and 4th years are clinical. At Duke, clinical is 2nd and 4th. It takes mental gearshifting to get back in the groove; for some, more than others. Unless you're really into that research gig, it also kind of cramps class time; at least, it felt that way. To each his own.

Good luck.

And it is the home of DAN. A lot of DANs hyperbaric research is done on the Duke campus.

Okay, thanks guys. I look at Duke, and I found CDA down in Jacksonville, FL. 5 month course, 31,000 dollars about. Why can't there be places near PA? lol. Well thanks for wishing me luck. Also, I do know a commercial diver and a navy diver. I should talk to them the next chance I get.

Hello, I'm 15 and going to college in 3 years. I'm looking to major in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine. My goal in life is to be a commercial salvage diver and work part-time as an Undersea/Hyperbaric Medicine tech at Geisinger. Anyone know colleges or universities in the US that do this? I know LSU is one, but can't find any others. Thanks.

I might suggest that you study hard, go to a 4-year university, and then go to medical school. From there you can specialize in undersea and hyperbaric medicine. From there you will be able to learn about different programs.

That is a good idea drdrdiver, but I'm not planning to be an actual doctor as my career. Actually, not a doctor at all. Just a tech who can use a hyperbaric chamber and knows about diving injuries, etc. Doctors around here don't know anything about them. They even got rid of the hyperbaric chamber near me because of that. I think the only one in my state is in Allentown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom