college student was bitten by a shark in Sarasota Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meekal

Contributor
Reaction score
anybody have anymore details on this? i'd REALLY like to know the Time of day!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3496625

SARASOTA, Fla. Aug 18, 2007 (AP)

A college student was bitten by a shark in Sarasota Bay and needed more than 100 stitches to close her wounds.

Andrea Lynch, 20, said she was floating on her back near a boat when the shark bit her side Wednesday, shook her and then let her go.

When she got back in the boat, she told her friends that she might have been bitten by a shark but they thought she was joking or mistaken.

"I reached back with my hand and felt all these gashes on me, and there was blood running down my body and pooling in the boat," she said.

Lynch had 17 puncture wounds. Doctors said the shark's teeth missed all major organs but were close to her lungs.

A shark expert said Lynch may have been bitten by a roughly 6-foot-long bull shark.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

We used to swim off Sarasota starting back in the 50's as wee little tykes. Mom still lives there. It is known to have sharks that come in shallow. So sorry one had to learn that the painful way.

Yikes...that's terrible. I wish her a speedy recovery, whoever she is. Hurricanes...shark attacks...what's next? Aquaman drowning in the tub?

Back
Top Bottom