College Credit for going PRO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Key West Community College actually has a specific two-year program for this: http://www.fkcc.edu/programs/Dive Program Web Pages 07 06/Dive Program Web pages 07 06/degree.htm. The graduation rate for the semester program is suspect (as are all zero-to-heros), but the two-year grads do very well.

Also, as Neil stated, many four year universities have scuba instructor programs through Physical Education or Kinesiology; Texas, Texas State, Texas A&M, Florida and Florida State all have programs which can be taken for credit hours.

CenTexDivin:
I have the opportunity to do AI, DM, and IDC for course credit if I wanted to at Texas State.

The only reason I'm not doing it through the school is that in addition to the course fee through the dive shop, I'd have to pay lab fees and tution to the university in order to get the college credit.

I don't need to pay an additional $600 ($200 per course hour) and I don't need the additional credits for my degree (too close to the limit anyways), so I just enroll through the LDS and sit in with the classes offered through the school.

On the other hand, similar to your case, if I take it through the school, I can get financial aid to cover the cost outright.

really, that's kind of what I am looking for. I hate to say this, but I don't care if I have to pay extra because if it's college credit, my employeer will reimburse me!

k4man:
really, that's kind of what I am looking for. I hate to say this, but I don't care if I have to pay extra because if it's college credit, my employeer will reimburse me!

If they'll reimburse you for the travel also, you could go anywhere. Sweet deal.

so your employer doesn't have a rule that says it has to be "job related" to get reimbursed? Most I've seen say a course either has to be job related, or be a required course in a program. (So if you were going for a degree they approved, maybe you could get away with underwater basket weaving to satisfy a humanities requirement. :wink: )

Damselfish:
so your employer doesn't have a rule that says it has to be "job related" to get reimbursed? Most I've seen say a course either has to be job related, or be a required course in a program. (So if you were going for a degree they approved, maybe you could get away with underwater basket weaving to satisfy a humanities requirement. :wink: )

it does need to be "job related" and there are $$ ceilings, so the travel thing to anywhere does not apply. However, I've been in communication with my superiors who seem to think offering scuba classes at my job site might be of interest to others, so................

This is not my current job and is not job related, but it COULD be job related if I can get them to commit (in writing, of course) that they would offer the class --with me as an instructor!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom