College Credit for going PRO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am wondering if there are any universities that offer college credit for taking DM, AI, or Instructor courses. I've heard of colleges that offer the Open Water course for a PE credit, but what about the advanced or Pro courses??

The reason for asking is that my employer will reimburse for COLLEGE CREDIT coursework only, not just for taking a PADI class....again, it must have college credit attached to it. Trying to find a way to help finance my continuing education classes for diving.

I did, by the way, check the archives and found a link similar last fall (Oct 2006), but was looking for anything more specific.

There are plenty of schools offering pro-level courses, but you're going to have to check the catalogs of the ones in your area. Out here in SoCal my local community college offers courses as do some of the state universities.

I am going through my IDC right now, just got out of a 12 hour long class a couple hours ago...

My understanding is that you have to apply to PADI for your transcripts (or whatever PADI calls them), and then the College/University has to accept them, I guess that they usually charge a fee to accept the credits...

But yeah, there is a way to get credits for going Pro. It's listed in my Instructor guide, but I am too tired to run out to my truck to get it, I think it's something like a credit for Divemaster, maybe another one for Assitant, and I think that it's like 2 or 3 for Instructor, but Don't quote me on that, I am probably wrong.

The point is, yeah, you can get credit for each, but you have to jump some hoops to get them... and it will probably cost a couple more dollars, just like everything else... I know that PADI even charges a small fee (I think it's like 15 bucks, but again, probably wrong about that).

Anyway, It's a fun program, it probably isn't what you expect though, I know it's not what I expected, it makes you think about why you are doing it.

I am going through my IDC right now, just got out of a 12 hour long class a couple hours ago...

My understanding is that you have to apply to PADI for your transcripts (or whatever PADI calls them), and then the College/University has to accept them, I guess that they usually charge a fee to accept the credits...

But yeah, there is a way to get credits for going Pro. It's listed in my Instructor guide, but I am too tired to run out to my truck to get it, I think it's something like a credit for Divemaster, maybe another one for Assitant, and I think that it's like 2 or 3 for Instructor, but Don't quote me on that, I am probably wrong.

The point is, yeah, you can get credit for each, but you have to jump some hoops to get them... and it will probably cost a couple more dollars, just like everything else... I know that PADI even charges a small fee (I think it's like 15 bucks, but again, probably wrong about that).

Anyway, It's a fun program, it probably isn't what you expect though, I know it's not what I expected, it makes you think about why you are doing it.

I have the opportunity to do AI, DM, and IDC for course credit if I wanted to at Texas State.

The only reason I'm not doing it through the school is that in addition to the course fee through the dive shop, I'd have to pay lab fees and tution to the university in order to get the college credit.

I don't need to pay an additional $600 ($200 per course hour) and I don't need the additional credits for my degree (too close to the limit anyways), so I just enroll through the LDS and sit in with the classes offered through the school.

On the other hand, similar to your case, if I take it through the school, I can get financial aid to cover the cost outright.

CJ Waid:

But yeah, there is a way to get credits for going Pro. It's listed in my Instructor guide, but I am too tired to run out to my truck to get it, I think it's something like a credit for Divemaster, maybe another one for Assitant, and I think that it's like 2 or 3 for Instructor, but Don't quote me on that, I am probably wrong.......
... I know that PADI even charges a small fee (I think it's like 15 bucks, but again, probably wrong about that).

PADI has nothing to do with whether or not colleges give credit for any course, nor does the school have to accept anything from PADI. It is the school that decides what to give credit for, possibly in accordance with whatever rules of accreditation apply. The university I teach for gives a PE unit for line dancing, for Pete's sake.
The schools here all offer NAUI leadership courses and you don't have to get anything from them either.

Good luck!

At my IE there was a large group of Key West Community College students that took a semester of PADI Pro training. I do not know what the entry requirements were, many zero to hero programs are less than a semester in length. I do know there were a suprising number of written exam fails from the KWCC students (~50%) vs less than 10% fails from the instructor factories (Pro Dive, Ocean Divers, Flakeys).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom