Cold Water Wetsuit Strategy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kouhoutek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a pretty cold tolerant diver (lots of bioprene :) ), but after diving 57 F water in La Jolla, I've decided I'm going to need a little more than my 3mm.

After getting a little sticker shock over the 5mm and 7mm suits (I need high stretch), I'm thinking of going with layering...specifically a 3mm shorty for my core, then add a hood.

Anyone have experience doing this? How does 3mm suit + 3mm shorty compare to a regular 5mm?

Any other cold water wet suit strategies? I'm not looking to get into a dry suit just yet.

I'm a big fan of diving dry, but you have the right idea. If I were you, I would bit the bullet on a thicker full suit since you will still chill with a 3mil on your arms and legs. Short of that, either a farmer john top (shorty bottom w/ long arms and integrated hood) would be good. Or just a hooded vest. Another way to keep warm is to bring a thermos full of hot water that you can dump down your wetsuit before the dive, essentailly pre-heating the water that will be trapped in the suit.

Yeah, if you have wetsuit sticker shock, drysuit stickers will put you into a coma :)

Definitely get a hood. They make some really thick ones too.

I don't think you're helping yourself by getting a shorty though.

I know you said you're not ready to dive dry - but I would encourage you to keep your eye on the prize. A "cheap" drysuit may not cost any more than the amount of wetsuit you need to keep warm - and may result in a better experience. I got my drysuit for only $850 - for example. I'm sure you can find one in that range. I've seen a lot of "used" suits that have less than 5 dives on them.

The most important piece of dive gear you can invest in is a good custom Wetsuit! Spend the money! If you do you will dive more because you are more comfortable! Mine is good to 52* then if my exposure is longer or below 52* I have a Drysuit! If you are comfortable your gear will not sit in the garage in winter needing service and you will become a better diver! It is worth it and is more important than just about any other bells or whistles including the fancy reg! :wink:

The problem with patch work suits (layering etc) is your creating cold spots! Do it right, where have I heard that?

Cost wise, the Henderson Farmer John style 7 mm suit is pretty attractive at < $300. That's 14 mm on the core. It has the stretchy fabric and there is a matching hood - 5 mm, I believe.

I just bought an XXL for my son-in-law and it works real well at 55 deg F. Eventually we will get down to Monterey and see how it works in the ocean.

Personally, I bought the AquaLung SolaFX one piece suit (about $500). In the pool at 60 deg F it works well.

Richard

Last edited:
I had a 3mm o'neil that I used with an aqualung 6mm hooded vest. My arms and legs froze after about 15 min. Papa bear is right IMO.....PORBEAGLE

I picked up a Bare Arctic 7mm fullsuit off scubatoys for about $300 if I remember correctly...Throw some 3mm boots and some 1mm gloves on and it keeps me plenty toasty in La Jolla :D I did decide to pick up a hood, though. Somehow I think the thermoclines are more severe than the lakes back home. The water's warmer, but it's a much larger temperature difference between the surface and at depth, so I decided a hood was in order, haven't been wet with it yet though :(

If you are not ready for a drysuit, just bite the bullet and get a 7mm full suit and hooded vest. Screwing around with layering 3mm suits is just not worth it. The key point is that you need to to get a suit that fits well and has good seals at the arms, legs and neck to minimize water flushing in and out of the suit.

The XCEL wetsuits have the stretch where you need it, and the hood is part of the suit...works great for Socal waters.

Last edited:
I'm a pretty cold tolerant diver (lots of bioprene :) ), but after diving 57 F water in La Jolla, I've decided I'm going to need a little more than my 3mm.

After getting a little sticker shock over the 5mm and 7mm suits (I need high stretch), I'm thinking of going with layering...specifically a 3mm shorty for my core, then add a hood.

Anyone have experience doing this? How does 3mm suit + 3mm shorty compare to a regular 5mm?

Any other cold water wet suit strategies? I'm not looking to get into a dry suit just yet.

I've got the same bioprene build. I been diving with a 17oz polyolefin skin (1mm equivalent), 3mm FWS, 3mm shortie, and 5mm hood/booties/gloves in water as cold as 51*F. I could stay just barely comfortable on 30 minute dives in water as cold as 53*F. I got COLD with the 51 degree water and decided to bite the bullet and get a 7mm.

My wife loves her AquaLand AquaFlex so I tried one on in my local dive shop for sizing so she could get it for me as a present. On a whim I went on e-bay and found one for substantially less money that was less than a year old and only had ten dives on it (dive shop was closing). The deals I stumbled onto are long gone, but if you know the EXACT size you need in the exact wetsuit you want to buy you can shop online for the best price. Do not depend upon sizing charts unless you're made of plastic and someone dresses you for placement in a store window.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom