Cold Water Regulator Help . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timmyjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay, I'm totally confused.

I will be doing my Advanced Open Water dives within the month up here in frigid Northern Illinois. The water temp at the 80+ foot level we're going to be descending to is supposed to be around 43ºF - 48ºF. So being a newbie, I am concerned about my Legend LX (not the Supreme version) freezing up at that temperature; and being my first time at that depth, I don't think I'm going to be real happy with a free flowing reg.

There are two dive shops I deal with up here. The one I am very comfortable with, and the guy who runs that shop says my Legend LX will be fine at that temperature. And my history with him is he has never told me something that contradicts what I've learned from any PADI course or any of my research on Scuba. The other shop, where the guy who runs the shop says he teaches his Open Water students that when they are out of air they should just grab the regulator out of their buddies mouth (I kid you not, he told me that, and when I said he has to be joking he said no, because that is what usually happens in an out of air panic underwater, so he teaches his students that, which I found really scary and I don't want to dive with any of his students). But this second shop guys says you need a cold water regulator at anything under 55ºF. So who do I believe? I am a very cautious diver and would like to err on the side of conservation, but I'm not sure I should trust the guy at the second shop.

Any thoughts and experiences anyone would like to share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best,
-Tim

Hi Pedro, thanks for the response. Your Legend LX is like mine, the none "Supreme" version?

Best,
-Tim

No problem with your regulator. If you are concerned about secondary free-flows, the next time you have it serviced you can ask the reg tech to set the intermediate pressure on the primary to midrange and match the secondary reg to it for "normal breathing" rather than "anticipates your next breath".

Hi Pedro, thanks for the response. Your Legend LX is like mine, the none "Supreme" version?

Best,
-Tim

I've got a Legend LX, not Supreme.

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2014 at 01:44 PM ----------

The other shop, where the guy who runs the shop says he teaches his Open Water students that when they are out of air they should just grab the regulator out of their buddies mouth (I kid you not, he told me that, and when I said he has to be joking he said no, because that is what usually happens in an out of air panic underwater, so he teaches his students that, which I found really scary and I don't want to dive with any of his students).

I've never seen it but I've been told that an out-of-air and panicked diver will grab the closest regulator that he/she knows is working. That's usually the one in your mouth. We teach OOA skills in a relaxed manner but it's generally not relaxed when someone is out of air. I have never seen the grab the regulator out of the donor's mouth technique. Nor would I teach it. But it's something you should be aware might happen if you see someone rapidly approaching you signalling that he/she is out of air.

I've never seen it but I've been told that an out-of-air and panicked diver will grab the closest regulator that he/she knows is working. That's usually the one in your mouth. We teach OOA skills in a relaxed manner but it's generally not relaxed when someone is out of air. I have never seen the grab the regulator out of the donor's mouth technique. Nor would I teach it. But it's something you should be aware might happen if you see someone rapidly approaching you signalling that he/she is out of air.

Have not run into a "REAL" OOA scenario in my limited diving so far, but when we practiced in the relaxed manner you spoke of, when my dive buddy gave me the OOA signal, I took a breath and offered my octo, thinking that if he grabbed the reg out of my mouth, I would at least have a breath and some time to go to my octo. I can see it as a really bad situation if your dive buddy comes up from behind and just grabs your reg without warning, especially if you have just exhaled.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Best,
-Tim

Shouldn't be an problem at all. 43F is cold for human, but not that cold for regulator. Even unsealed piston will do just fine, not to mention sealed diaphram

Here is what the owners manual has to say.

This regulator has successfully passed all the tests required by the EN 250:2000 standard and has received certification for this type. The maximum
operating depth limit required by the standard for certifying the equipment is 50 metres.
If your regulator carries the >10°C mark, this indicates that the regulator is not intended for use in water at a temperature below 10°C.
This mark can be found on the 1st stage body for Titan and Kronos series regulators, or on the 2nd stage for regulators in the Titan LX, Legend series
and Mikron.

10C is about 52F

If it does not have the mark indicated go for it with the manufacturers blessing.

Dove with my Legend LX this morning in a quarry and the temp at the depth we were was 45ºF. Nothing froze up or free-flowed, so we're good so far. Was a tad chilly though.

Best,
-Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom