Cold Water Reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon M.

Reaction score
I see a lot of talk on the board about this reg or that, is the best cold ater reg. Scubapo tends to be frowned upon for not performing as well as others in cold water. I would like to know the water temperature rang that one might expect say and mk25/s600 or mk25/g250hp to freeze up. It seems od to diss sp regs for use in cold water without defining the kind of situatioins/temperature that they fail.

~Jon

Apeks, nuff said Apeks.

Used by all of the professional North Sea divers.

Unfortunately the SP web page does not give any specific temperature range but it does talk about 2 and 4 degrees (Centigrade) water temp.

I used to dive in the UK dived regularly with a Mk20/G500 in the winter - I had one free flow in about 50 dives and that was probably due to breating with the reg whilst on the surface.

With SP there is no need for environmental sealing like some other manuafucturers due to their TIS - for more info check out there web site.

I have not done a cold water "speciality" but I believe it is standard practice not to breath with your reg on the surface as that can cause ice crystals in your second stage - follow this and I think you will find SP better than most in cold water.

As well as Apeks they are also very popular in the UK.

Jonathan

Thank You all for responding!! I will definatley give the sp website a bit better look over and see if i find anything else. I kinda figured that they should be good for cold water. I am fairly inexpeirienced at the sport, and have only dove sp and mares... Used mk20/d400 in my class and liked them a lot also used a few others when i have rented have always like their regs. when i used them. right now i am leaning toward the mk25/s600. I will be test diving the g250hp, s600 and apeks tx100 tomorrow :D. Then i will be able to see which i like.

Again thanks,
~Jon

Went ahead and bought the mk25/s600, with an r380 octo. Seemed to breath much better. I am eagerly awaiting the day to get out and get them wet.

~Jon:D :droplet: :boings: :crest:

Beuchat VX 10 Iceberg, I've had it in 38F water and no problemos...

I'm thinking of the Sherwood Blizzard for the occasional late Great Lakes dive. Anyone have any experience with this?

I use a US Divers Artic reg for ice diving up here in Canada.
It has worked great for many years

I cannot count how many SP freeze ups I've seen in 40F water. Apeks regs work for me in ice water with an IP set at 132psi or so.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom