Cold Water/Ice Water Regulator options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJ1

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey fellow divers!

Just wondering what you use for winter diving - & what regulator you would recomend I look into buying.......I'm looking in the price range of 400-600 Canadian (300-500 USD) for a new first and second stage regulator setup.

Thanks!

Beuchat makes some Really good cold gear.

I've had good luck with the Sherwood Blizzard for recreational diving off Cape Ann, Massachusetts in the winter. I got a good price on it from LP. too.

Sherwood regs are bulletproof, and do have a good cold-water reputation. But I wouldn't take them any deeper than 70 or 80 feet - they're a recreational regulator only. Then again, that might be find for the kind of diving you want to do.

Can't go wrong with and apeks DS4 or ATX200 first stage and wich ever 2nd stage from apeks... I also own a sherwood blizzard wich is also a great reg

Im also from ottawa and im using the ATX 50/DS4 for backgas in 35f water and i use the sherwood on the stage bottles... And apeks are also well priced regulators

Sherwood Blizzard and Maximus are excellent, as long as you stay below 100 feet. The latter is standard issue in the U.S. Antarctic Program. Poseidon Odin/Jetstream received the highest cold water scores in testing by the NEDU and is on the "Authorized for Navy Use" list. I own an Apeks TX50/DS4 and love it (along with everyone else who owns it), but I've had it freeze up at Wazee Lake in Wisconsin at 110' in 34F water, so nothing is perfect.

JJ1:
Hey fellow divers!

Just wondering what you use for winter diving - & what regulator you would recomend I look into buying.......I'm looking in the price range of 400-600 Canadian (300-500 USD) for a new first and second stage regulator setup.

Thanks!
I have tried various regs during ice diving over the years.. Sherwoods, Apeks, Scubapros, and Poseidons and the list goes on...

The ONLY reg I have had that didn't freeze up at least once was the poseidon (and thats WITHOUT using the cold water kit for the 1st stage).. Personally I prefer the Cyclon over the Odin (jetstream). Neither froze..

I have had apeks 2nds freeze on several occasions, 1st stages without enviromental sealing froze (with sealing didn't freeze)

JJ1:
Hey fellow divers!

Thanks!

I have the Scubapro S600 2nd Stage and MK25AF (Anti-Freeze) 1st Stage. I have had no problems, free-flows etc and have dived in 3 degrees celcius freshwater..... A lot of the divers in my club use Apeks though and they are highly regarded for cold water diving so I'm sure either will do the trick.

I bought them from www.diveinn.com which is based in Spain, the set I have are currently on at about 430 USD and the Apeks ATX200 are about 480 USD.

JJ1:
Hey fellow divers!

Thanks!

I can recommend the Aqualung LX Supreme and/or the Titan Glacia for cold water depending on your budget.

I have a Sherwood Maximus too and I've had it in water as cold as -2C (yes this is possible) without trouble. The Sherwood 1st stage is excellent but their second stages are unfortunately pretty wet breathers and quite a bit behind the performance curve as compared to Aqualung or Apeks.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom