Cold water hood for a large head and a thin neck.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a large head sitting on top of a thin neck, with more than 9 inches of difference between the two in circumference. Finding a really well-fitting hood has been a bit of a challenge. Fortunately, it seems that I am not alone, allegedly some women experience similar problems... and therein lies my hope for a good practical suggestion that is proven to work. I have ordered a custom-made hood from a reputable company, but still ended up with a hood that forcefully squeezes my brain, and flops around my neck, and apparently this can't be helped, since making the neck tighter would prevent me from putting the hood on or taking it off. I am considering my options: (a) leave it as is, and tolerate the cold around my neck... well, not really, after the first cold water dive I will probably find that this option is out, (b) tie the loose neck with some sort of a strap or a bungee worn on top to make it tighter, (c) buy or make a neoprene collar that I can wear around my neck on top of the silicone drysuit seal, but tucked under the hood to take up the excess space. Thoughts?

You need to call Cricket at Otter Bay in Monterey. Her custom hoods are WARM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jbb
I would recommend Otterbay as well. I have one of their hoods. They use 12mm for the cap area and I think 5mm elsewhere. With the difference you have though I would think you might want a zipper in the back (or velcro tab) as some manufacturers of cold water hoods do to make sure it stays snug at your neck.

Ok, this is a 12mm Otter Bay hood :). Cricket suggested a rubber band, but I was wondering what others did...

As a female, the difference between my head and neck is 10inches ... I didn't notice this is a thing until I saw your post lol. I always tolerant the cold water around neck (I dive in 55F cold water). I think it's time for me to customize my hood haha.

I have a decent head and neck and the rest and unless they are using stretchy cheap neoprene
most couldn't make a tailor made hood or suit

A vertical zipper only at the back of the neck I have seen, but you could go one with velcro too

1703495677496.png

photoroom_20221102_142753-removebg-preview.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom