Cold Water Gloves for Midwest Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848

Reaction score
I'm looking for some cold water gloves for diving here in the midwest. My LDS says that 3mm Henderson Gold Core will be warm enough (of course, this is the thickest pair they carry, so as salesmen I would say the same thing :wink: ). Is this true, or would I be better off with 5mm or 7mm? Just wondering, because I have dove with lighter gloves, and it was horrible, and I don't want to waste the money on 3mm if I end up having to buy 5 or 7mm to keep warm.

I have never dove with 3mm gloves in the midwest but I don't think I would want to. I use Henderson 5mm Hyperstretch and they work great. I don't recall anything less than 5mm in the rental gear that I used for my cert divers either.
For the price difference go with the 5mm. If you want to give your LDS the business then have them order you a pair.

Depends on when and where you dive. Diving with 3mm gloves now in 40 something degree water would be really cold. On the other hand diving without any gloves at all in August is an option in shallower lakes.

If in doubt, go thicker. I use 7mm gloves year round as the alpine lakes where I normally dive a re deep and maintain bottom temps near 40 degrees year round.

5mm gloves however do nearly as well. The critical thing with any serious cold water glove is fit. If it does a good job of preventing water flow in and out of the glove it will keep your hands warmer. An ill fitting glove that pumps water past the wrist every time you move your hand will be cold. A glove that is too tight in the fingers will also be cold as it will restrict circulation. .

I was using 3 mil ScubaPro gloves, and could tolerate the cold for a while, but then I finally switched to the 5 mil ScubaPro everflex gloves, and my hands are plenty warm now. Just took a little getting use to the dexterity I lost, but I over came that quickly.

Many Thanks, I think I will go with the 5mm and if I dive anything colder than that, I won't feel that I wasted my money on them at least, as I think I can wear them year-round in the lakes here.

If you need to get a pair of gloves for even colder water go with a three-finger mitt. I found that they were a lot warmer than my five-finger gloves. You lose some dexterity with the three-finger but it isn't as much loss as when your fingers are so frozen you can hardly move them. Having both styles will give you a choice should you find the water is colder than anticipated at least that's how I justify my collection of gloves :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

another option would be dry gloves. I didnt care for them though.

diverbob:
another option would be dry gloves. I didnt care for them though.
Yeah, I think they would drive me nuts. Plus, this way if I ever go without my drysuit (that I don't have yet anyway), I will have warmer gloves.

kent_1848:
Yeah, I think they would drive me nuts. Plus, this way if I ever go without my drysuit (that I don't have yet anyway), I will have warmer gloves.
hey kent i have 3mm gloves and i cant remember the brand (there packed in the trailer ready for table rock) at the surface i was fine (50 F) but below my hands were a bit cold, i would go for the 5mm. good luck this weekend

kent_1848:
I'm looking for some cold water gloves for diving here in the midwest. My LDS says that 3mm Henderson Gold Core will be warm enough (of course, this is the thickest pair they carry, so as salesmen I would say the same thing :wink: ). Is this true, or would I be better off with 5mm or 7mm? Just wondering, because I have dove with lighter gloves, and it was horrible, and I don't want to waste the money on 3mm if I end up having to buy 5 or 7mm to keep warm.

I am going to Stockton Lake today and using 5M Gloves. You are right about the LDS not having 5M because I went to two of my LDS and all they have are 3M. I asked the LDS where I am planning on joining to order me a pair. He got me a good deal then gave me a discount also. I like this LDS better than the one I currently go to. I will let you know how it goes with the 5M gloves.

Back
Top Bottom