Cold Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
I had some dive buddies that were diving wet they are now diving dry.

So far, all my buddies who said the same thing I did "I don't need a drysuit", have either purchased one within a year, or have stopped diving.

Now the argument is with those who tell me "I don't need Nitrox certification". I'm sure more than half of them will change their minds within the next year :)

$200 isn't much for a cold water wetsuit, esp a dry. I havn't gone dry, but my buddies tell me you really get a lot more drag with dry zeN

I paid right around $200 for my 7mm semi-dry Scubamax. I am one of those people who likes to get out of the dry-suit as soon as the water is warm enough and probably do 2/3rds of my dives in my semi-dry by preference. each year.

Diving both, I agree that a dry suit will add more drag.

i dive year round north of puget sound (Georgia Strait and Discovery Passage and north) in a wet suit in complete comfort. I don't understand at all so many people claim you need a dry suit, i think this is a misconception the manufacters are only too happy to see continue. I have several dry suits ( i dive regularly for fishfarms where you are required to wear a specific dry - neoprene for westcoast pacific and latex/urethane for inside strait) but the fact is diving in a wet or semi wet is so much more comfortable and streamlined...you can swim in a wet suit... The only time i feel cold is when i get out of the water and all that warm water pours out of the bottom of the suit...it feels like a massive horse piss and is just as satisfying except you will feel a little cold untill you do some moving around to replace the lost heat. For the slight inconvenience of a small cold period at the beginning of the dive, in return you get increased mobility, streamling, use less air and swim with greater ease...and you are in contact and balance with the enviroment in a way you are not with a drysuit. I want salt water on my skin when i dive...it's part of the reason i love diving...also i l dive cuz it's another type of swimming...swimming sucks in a drysuit.

My personal experience is you feel a little cold jumping in...you move around and in less than a few minutes i feel perfectly warm for the entire dive...(let me emphasize: absolutely comfortable and happy) i'm in fact much more comfortable for swimming (as opposed to just sinking, paddling around a little and than ascending) than in a dry suit. And i have neoprene and urethane drysuits i could use, but i like to swim...not sink, drift and rise.
Obviously you use less air in a wet, you move faster and easier and your streamlined...and as to the issue of cold, in the Pacific northwest: you get a good 7mm 'tight fit' wet or semi wet and your good to go fall/winter/spring. I think a 7mm is too much for summer diving.

Some people will take offense at this but there is almost a psychological fear of cold and unatural expectation of comfort that it has held people back from the fact that todays 7mm wet suits are perfectly suitable for Pacific NW year round diving. With a good snug wet suit you will face a bit of cold for a few minutes...(welcome to the Pacific NorthWest) but the fact is once you warm the inner layer of insulating water, it does not pour out (this of course requires a good snug fit, full hood with bib tucked under and good long gloves)...not from pressure (it's water not air) and as a result of the easier, freer movement...you do move more and yet use less air for the amount of dive you get and this makes it a far more enjoyable way to dive. In fact i think that no healthy person who can swim needs a drysuit in the Pacific NorthWest unless you are a commercial diver who does very little swimming.
In fact they work so well one improvement the companies could make is a semi sealed wetsuit (sealed to air, not water) so that the water in the suit can be held in there until the diver feels like releasing it.
I think most divers don't realize how effective water is at keeping you warm (much more effective than air) and that todays wetsuit does hold in the water effectively (provided it's snug and tight at the arm, neck and leg hems). This year in January i've done a few 45 metre dives in a sherwood 7mm two piece on the navy wreck at Quadra Island (Campbell River/Canada)...hey i was perfectly warm! Not a little warm either...perfectly absolutely warm and hey, i was in the water...which is whtat it's about! All the other divers were wearing drys except me and the guides (most of the divers were Americans) and they thought we must be super cold water adapted canucks...well we are not. We are just not afraid of a little cold...and the fact is we had more of a healthy vigorous dive, we swim underwater with a ease that you cannot with a dry suit, and i was never once cold underwater...in fact underwater i am perfectly warm... So i recommend a cold water wet suit over a dry suit empatically.

Well...As a New England diver with very little body fat, I can't stay in the water for more than 30 mins or so (even shallow) in water below around 45 degrees if I'm in my 7mm wetsuit with 5mm core warmer. And since the temperature below about 30 fsw is about 45 degrees *now* (August), a drysuit is the only way for me to dive. While one person on this board apparently can stay warm in a wetsuit in cold water (I know another) and that is wonderful, *most* people don't have that kind of cold water tolerance.

As for using less air...you will use less air in the suit that keeps you warmest. If you have problems with streamlining in a drysuit, you need a better fitting drysuit.

Water does not keep you warm. It is a terrible insulator. It removes body heat 25 times faster than air. If the water in your suit is even a little below your body temperature (I think 87 degrees is the magic number, or something close), you are losing heat very rapidly.

A lot also depends on the length of the dives you are doing and the depth. If you are doing 30 minute dives in 10 feet of water, a wetsuit may very well be fine. But, if you are doing hour long dives and are going to depths below 70-80 feet, you will get cold if you are like most divers.

Remember...even the cavers in Florida wear drysuits and thick undies and they are diving in 75 degree water.

Gosh I remember as a kid going to Rhode Island and playing in the surf until my parents would make me get out:(

I look at old photo's now and see this scrawny little kid with blue lips splashing around but do not remember ever being cold...

In the military during the winter you could get pretty much any dive job you wanted. I was a rookie and wanted to show how tough I could be and took ever job I could...

I do remember being cold on those...I also mastered the art of field drysuit repair after a couple of dives with leaking suits...

Now I live in Florida and complain when the gulf is down below 80 degrees F (of course I also complain when it gets above 86 F because it does not feel refreshing...)

I am not sure if I have become less tolerant of the cold or more of a complainer as I have aged...

Jeff Lane

given your measurements you do not seem tocarry a lot of lard. i am pretty skinny, too. i would die in my 7mm plus hood at 45F. mid 60s with an occasional dip into the high 50s is all i can handle. however, mine is not a semi dry but it is a great fitting suit.

soggy: your right, if you can't stay warm in a wet suit, you can't stay warm and need a dry suit...no question. It’s your choice...this is just my opinion...Your also right that if your cold you are going to use more air. As for cavers, thats not germane to the subject as this is different than normal diving .

As for your comments on water being a very poor insulator...your talking not about having a wet suit on... but being naked ("It removes body heat 25 times faster than air....") With a good wetsuit you have a layer of warmed water trapped against your skin inside the suit.

I think it’s mostly psychological...cuz it’s not just me...most of the people i dive with around here are commercial divers who own drysuits and they sport dive in wet suits. I don’t have a lots of lard, i am in good shape generally...and yes i have a shot of cold for 2 minutes when i jump in the water....i do some swimming and i’m warm as toast (in 45F water) for the entire dive untill i get out and the water runs out my leg.
It’s not too different than jumping in a hole in the ice after a hot sauna...a blast and then your warm again. In fact doing that, saunas and ice water and cold showers is a good way to teach your body to adapt to cold water. Really i think it’s just an adaption. I recommend it over spending a wad of cash to compensate for being unadaptable.

Rodales and your LDS are going to insist you need a drysuit and produce all kinds of fancy statistics, charts and dire warnings of imminent danger...and then shiny colourful brochures of hooters girls in drysuits... and then offer to sell you one... but thats a lie. You don’t need one , you just think you do. What you need to do is adapt. You will be healthier and stronger...that’s part of what diving should be about... not rampant consumerism .

Let's be serious, the average canadian or american is a freaking couch potato... Thats okay...but the idea that it's normal is not okay...it's harmful. A lot of people just have a pathological fear of cold...any cold, even just a little...is absolutely foreign to them....turn on the heater or turn on the air conditioner!. what's wrong is the idea that this is normal...it's not normal. People...americans and canadians are becoming the most pussy assed people on the planet...and they are being told it’s the way to go.
It's not the way to go. Especially in diving.

etype once bubbled...
As for your comments on water being a very poor insulator...your talking not about having a wet suit on... but being naked ("It removes body heat 25 times faster than air....") With a good wetsuit you have a layer of warmed water trapped against your skin inside the suit.

No...Water that is trapped against your body at 80 degrees will remove heat 25 times faster than 80 degree air trapped against your body. The water isn't what insulates you, it is the air trapped in the neoprene the wetsuit is made of. This is why depth causes a loss of insulation and your 7mm wetsuit at the surface is a 3mm at depth. We lose heat warming the water, which hopefully doesn't move around much, but it is not what is insulating you. You clearly don't have a grasp of the basic physics involved here. While YOU may be able to dive in a wetsuit in very cold water, most cannot.

Rodales and your LDS are going to insist you need a drysuit and produce all kinds of fancy statistics, charts and dire warnings of imminent danger...and then shiny colourful brochures of hooters girls in drysuits... and then offer to sell you one... but thats a lie. You don’t need one , you just think you do. What you need to do is adapt. You will be healthier and stronger...that’s part of what diving should be about... not rampant consumerism .

Wow...conspiracy theory. The US military has done studies. I know you won't accept this, since it is also done by a manufacturer, but check out the studies on www.divingconcepts.com "Why dive dry?"

Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. The advice you are giving is really quite bad and spouting conspiracy theory does no one any good. Cold is a major contributing factor to DCI, increases narcosis, and increases suseptibility to oxygen toxicity. Being cold IS DANGEROUS in the water. It has nothing to do with acclimation. I dive in a drysuit year round up here and when traveling, if the water is below 80 degrees, I use a 7mm wetsuit because I understand these basic principles.

Let's be serious, the average canadian or american is a freaking couch potato... Thats okay...but the idea that it's normal is not okay...it's harmful. A lot of people just have a pathological fear of cold...any cold, even just a little...is absolutely foreign to them....turn on the heater or turn on the air conditioner!. what's wrong is the idea that this is normal...it's not normal. People...americans and canadians are becoming the most pussy assed people on the planet...and they are being told it’s the way to go.
It's not the way to go. Especially in diving.

Thanks for the editorial, Rush.

If you wetsuit guys wanna dive in 45 degree water....go for it. Diving wet during the summer months wouldn't be so difficult, as it's the surface interval that sucks during the winter time. If diving dry makes me a pussy then so be it. You can recognize the pussy's on a dive boat, they'd be the ones that are warm and dry after a dive, and ready to dive again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom