Cold Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C

Colton

I live up by the Puget Sound. My first investment I want to make is a wetsuit. I only want to spend 200$-. The water temp is about 45 F. And I need help with sizing. Height- 5ft 6in weight 130lpds. Please help.:)

45F is cold. you best bet (if DrySuit is not on your list) then get a semi dry two-peice suit. That is 6.5mm or 7mm farm john (pants) and a jacket so that the core will be 14mm. Semi-Dry means that it will still be wet, but it has better seals on the neck and the feet than a regular wetsuit. Checkout SimplyScuba.com, you may get something like this for about $250;

A semi-dry works by restricting the water flow through the suit. I don't think that I've seen 2-piece semi-dries. The 2-piece farmer jane/john puts a lot of neoprene on you which will help keep you warm, but a one-piece semi-dry will keep that cold, cold water from rushing you when you first get in the water.

For myself, I won't be diving any kind of 45 degree water without a drysuit. I've been in those temps for parts of dives before in my semi-dry and it's really uncomfortable. With temps below about 60 I don't last more than 25-30 minutes without having to get out. It's just too darn cold.

Obviously it all depends on your personal cold tolerance.

Rachel

I would agree with the assessment to go with a one piece semi-dry. I have seen two piece semi-dry's and have experience with the 2 piece semi-dry Bare used to sell and it was not effective in reducing water flow.

I'd use a one piece semi-dry with a vest and attached hood under it. These are available with smooth rubber on the neck area to correspond with the neck seals on many semi-dry suits. They add a little extra neoprene on the torso without compromising the sealing qualities of the one piece suit.

I use on from about June on when it gets too hot to comfortably get into my dry suit. The temp at the bottom runs in the mid 40's and I am comfortable for 30 minutes or so.

You really want to be dry in that kind of temperature. You will be happier and safer. Hunt around for a used suit. There are plenty over here within your budget.

A wetsuit will work fine. I did over 200 dives in a wetsuit before I could afford a drysuit and I stayed warm. If you are only doing 2 or 3 dives in a day a 2 piece 7MM suit will be warm enough. I do most of my diving in the Puget Sound and on the Oregon coast. You will probably end of in a drysuit if you dive a lot but for a casual diver a wetsuit works well.

Scott

I agree that you should be diving a dry suit in Puget Sound waters, as I too am a PNW diver. I have an old Harveys neoprene drysuit that may fit you. I would let it go for $100. It pretty old, has a lot of patches, but its cheap and even with it youd be 3Xs warmer than with a wet suit. Send me a PM if your interested, and well link up.
( I hope I'm not offending anyone, just tryin to help out)

Not for me, until I got fed up 6 months later of freezing to death. So I bought a drysuit on top of my wetsuit. You may want to save $400 or so that you will pay on your wetsuit and get a drysuit immediately.

I'd try to find a used dry suit, believe me it will be worth the money if you plan on diving year around. You can get by with a wet suit during the summer, but it will be miserable in the winter. I had some dive buddies that were diving wet they are now diving dry.

Back
Top Bottom