Cold water divers are better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chugwhump, Good points. But if you take one "free" lobster here they can confiscate all your dive gear and your car.

I think that you can find a diver silting up the place wherever you go unfortunately, warm water or cold water. I suppose you will only find the most elite in the deepend but then again I don't know that for sure.

Skills aside, I'm pretty sure that cold water divers spend more on gear (on average) than warm water divers. That makes us more valuable to the gear manufacturers so obviously we're the more important suckers .... er, customers.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go test out my new dry suit. Not that my old drysuit needed replaced, just that the LDS had a sale on White's, and they look so much better than my customer Diving Concepts ... though I admit the neon colors on the custom one are better for teaching in near zero. Of course the Whites boots have a different exterior dimensions, so I had to pick up new fins, but I've always wanted the pink Apollos just for the goofiness of them . . .

:D lol

Greetings jcfahy and interesting thread that has many comments that cover the bases well. I do agree that it is easier for the cold water diver to transition to warm but with training all environments are equally dive friendly.
There specific hazards for each that you are trained for by an Instructor, DM, or a mentor.
It comes down to what is your local dive area and what it takes to dive it safely.
Does it make one of the other inherently better? I would have to say not necessarily.

Some environments do require elevated awareness and are far more gear intensive than others.
It would be a matter of opinion to state which one created the best divers.
So I will simply state we all need to focus on being the best diver we can be in our chosen environment, cold, warm, overhead it really does not matter.
What does matter is our level of training and mastery of skills involved!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Yes, cold water divers are better. Many technics are necessary to control with heavy equipment.

Dude... in my mind you so much sound like Borat. :D

I bet I've dived with heavier equipment here in Asia than you've ever done in cold waters :eyebrow: My technics are effective and not reflective of the water temperature.

I bet I've dived with heavier equipment here in Asia than you've ever done in cold waters :eyebrow: My technics are effective and not reflective of the water temperature.

Yep, me too. I just can't figure out how my steel doubles, deco, and bailout bottle are somehow lightweight and smaller, because I'm in warm water. That seems to be people's perception.

Oh, and OP and others, you talk about cold being the only low vis. Please. The vis here is generally 2 to10 feet. 10 feet is a Great dive day. I am used to soup without ever having kicked up bottom comp. We have ripping currents that change on you mid-dive. Yet, we are inferior to the mighty cold waterers because of water temp? Not hardly. And we dive it every day.

And I train new divers in just these conditions. I like it because it makes them different from the stereotype you seem to give us. I think you are only thinking of those paradise spots and those vacationers who get there. You manage to leave out a large group of the warm water divers. Those like me who are insulted when you call me inferior to you. And yes, I am tech trained. It isn't just for caves and cold, you know. There are these things called wrecks, and they seem to be All Over warm water areas........

Yep.... Subic Bay in monsoon.

Water Temp: 31.

Viz: -1m
Current: 1kts
Site: Landing Ship Tank (wreck)
Dive Profile: 36m for 45mins
Equipment: Twin 80s + staged 32%.
Surface Conditions: 2m+ swell. Winds gusting to 60kmph.
Marine Life: 2m+ Bull Sharks
Techniques: Technical wreck penetration, with deco.

Yep.... that's so much easier than anything I did when I lived in the UK...

You have 2m bull sharks - wow that's so easy mate - we have 1.7/1.8 BSAC divers - a far greater hazard :) ( Please note smiley)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom