Cold Water Die-Hards vs. Warm Water Wimps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oi!! is that why no one has actualy ever atempted a world record benieth the ice?
that would surpass the world record done in the tropics.
now who's the W____S?

oi!! is that why no one has actualy ever atempted a world record benieth the ice?
that would surpass the world record done in the tropics.
now who's the W____S?

I'd rather ask why anyone DID attempt a world record beneath the ice...

pole241.jpg

Source

Posté par fredbuyle à 10:34:00 PM - Commentaires [0] - Permalien [#]
Freediving Record North Pole

Fred was in the expedition to freedive the North Pole...here's the press release and some pictures he took.

Kristian “Kike” Curavic, 30 years old from Croatia. He’s been freedivin since childhood. Established several world class freediving performances under the since 2002.

Team: 2 safety freedivers, 1 underwater photographer, 2 safety scuba divers with video cameras. Onland shooting team of 6 persons for a documentory about the performance. 1200kgs of equipment. Logistics coordinated by Borge Ousland, the first human who reached the North Pole in total autonomy, a 81 days journey. Kike and him know each others for many years now. They have been training a lot together. These two athletes have a very strong mental combined with an extensive knowledge of the Arctic environement to maximize safety.

Departure from Longyearbyen, Spitzberg, with an Antonov 74 to “Borneo”, a Russian drifting station on the ice cap established a few kilometers away from the pole. The station drifts following winds and currents, the drift can reach 10km a day. “Borneo” is used for scientific research and as base camp for polar expeditions. 2 Mi8 helicopters were avaible to find the best diving spots and to carry the equipment.

Diving conditions: Outside temperature -24°c, wind 30km/h, ice thickness 1,6m, water temperature -2°c, total darkness under the ice but visibility can reach 100m with a light source. It took 5 hours to a 6 men crew to dig the hole in the ice used by the divers. Everyday, 10cm of ice is covering the surface of the hole and must be removed before the dives. Scuba diver’s regulators are freezing because of the extreme cold making the dives even more problematic. The freedivers and divers are linked to the surface by ropes. Kike uses a 6mm wetsuit and a monofin.

Curavic set the constant weight under ice record at 51m in 1min31sec and became the first man to freedive at the North Pole.

team1.jpg
pole20.jpg

Kike lives in Norway, and his past record (45 meters) was set just outside my (past) home, in the Oslofiord...

ehmm!!!! kike's contribution notted what he has done is ground breaking beneath the ice.
again i said "surpass" the one done in the tropics.
"carlos coste" is the curent record holder for free diving.
depth for depth it has not even measure half of the one done by carlos coste in the tropics.
till some one can surpass the records in the tropics.

Hey! I'm a PADI Divemaster now! WHERE ARE ALL THE BABES???!

oh about the babe's.
girl's from the forzen tundras are actualy moving to warmer climates so they can get a tan and sip cool fruite drinks all day and they always manage to turn heads in there minimalist atire....he he he
we are not whimps, we are just lucky that we have babes all year round.

ehmm!!!! kike's contribution notted what he has done is ground breaking beneath the ice.
again i said "surpass" the one done in the tropics.
"carlos coste" is the curent record holder for free diving.
depth for depth it has not even measure half of the one done by carlos coste in the tropics.
till some one can surpass the records in the tropics.

I think you're kind've missing the point ... while at the same time making one you don't intend. Records are generally set in ideal conditions.

Betchya Carlos Coste couldn't repeat his record in ice water ... the additional thermal protection he'd have to wear, and the physiological effects of cold on the body would prevent it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The training in cold water diving can be tougher, but does offer a more hardened diver, but I think that you will have more fun in tropical waters, due the the fact that there are better things to see in warm, caribean waters, and that there are huge discofort factors in cold water.

I think that you will have more fun in tropical waters, due the the fact that there are better things to see in warm, caribean waters, and that there are huge discofort factors in cold water.

I think this is actually a pretty common misconception. I've dived in some great warm water (Australia, Indonesia, Cozumel, the BVI) and some utterly fantastic cold water (LA, Monterey, PNW). I've seen very cool things in both kinds of places. Which is better: A nurse shark in Byron Bay, Australia, or a 12 foot six gill in Puget Sound? Which is more exciting: A lionfish in Indonesia, or a Giant Pacific Octopus tucked under a rock in British Columbia? If you want color, Monterey and the Channel Islands have as much as Cozumel has, and we had 100 feet of viz on the oil rigs off LA.

Warm water diving is EASIER -- Less exposure protection, less weight, and often good visibility. But it isn't more exciting or more fun.

And if there are HUGE discomfort factors in diving cold water, you're diving the wrong gear.

I think this is actually a pretty common misconception.
Warm water diving is EASIER -- Less exposure protection, less weight, and often good visibility. But it isn't more exciting or more fun.

She says as she books yet another warm water trip to....FLORIDA !! Not Alaska, or Maine, or Scotland......:D
Enjoy your next trip. And don't forget the sunscreen....:D

She says as she books yet another warm water trip to....FLORIDA !! Not Alaska, or Maine, or Scotland......:D
Enjoy your next trip. And don't forget the sunscreen....:D

She ain't going there for the warm water ... and ya don't need sunscreen in a cave ... :lotsalove:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The training in cold water diving can be tougher, but does offer a more hardened diver, but I think that you will have more fun in tropical waters, due the the fact that there are better things to see in warm, caribean waters, and that there are huge discofort factors in cold water.

I'm not gonna wrap it up in paper for you. This is bull! :no

Heck, I don't even know where to begin! Yeah, warm water is likely comfy. And it takes a while to dress up in a drysuit, if you're not used to it. But in the water things change. My suit fits perfect, so it is definitely comfortable. And it is as warm as I need it to be since I can vary which undergarnments I wear.

More to see in warm waters? You gotta be kiddin' me! :rofl3:
-You travel from one end of the world to the other and dive, and what do you get? 80% same species of fish, no vegetation at all compared to temperate waters, and you even meet the same clumsy holiday divers! :11doh:

Ok, I'm ready! Hit me! :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom