Cold in 55 Degree Waters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something is a miss if your getting cold in 55' water.
Yeah, that's a possibility. You should get a test for Hypothyroidism. Low metabolism from a thyroid imbalance could be a cause of getting too cold too soon in mildly cold water.

Yeah, that's a possibility. You should get a test for Hypothyroidism. Low metabolism from a thyroid imbalance could be a cause of getting too cold too soon in mildly cold water.

Good catch! I am actually on meds for hypothyroidism. Perhaps they aren't quite working well enough. I will check into that!

Something is a miss if your getting cold in 55' water.

I dive a reasonable base layer, fusion undergarment, fusion ds, waterproof hood and dry gloves.

I can't wait till the water heats up to 55 so I can back off the insulation a bit.

My base layer is currently a smart wool layer. I do have some underarmor I can wear to try and wick better. I also have a Lavacore at my disposal. I wonder if that would make any difference as a base layer underneath my Arctics?

if your head is cold, a full dry hood seal is an option rather than just going to a thicker hood

With my 7mm hood my head never feels so much as chilly.

there is no way to trap air on your chest/belly since air rises and you would be immensely uncomfortable with that much air in your suit. Try adding a vest layer if you have any warm vests for skiing or whatever. If that doesn't work, you're best off going to active heating, but I would avoid thermolution. It's cheap for a reason....
He describes over weighting, air rises into the shoulder area as the weight forces him down into the bubble, or the bubble lifts the suit away at the highest point and compresses the insulation at the bottom. A little air in the b/c may help. To visualize this seal your hand in a plastic bag and push it underwater. His suit may be a little to big too, his undergarments could be worn out or he may just be oversinsitive to the cold due to his medical condition.

I was in the Thermal Fusion, thin base layer, medium weight wool socks with a silk liner (under 5mm neoprene suit socks), 5mm hood, dry gloves with Fourth Element Xerotherm liner in 48F water for 30 min this weekend. All under Fusion Fit. I was just fine.

I was loaned an X-Core vest to try out. But it doesn’t fit under my Thermal Fusion. Bunches up at shoulders and doesn’t pull down smoothly. Perhaps I should try it over the Thermal Fusion.

Op, I’m really surprised you thought the Thermal Fusion was the same warmth as the FE Arctic. I’m significantly warmer in the Thermal Fusion.

He describes over weighting, air rises into the shoulder area as the weight forces him down into the bubble, or the bubble lifts the suit away at the highest point and compresses the insulation at the bottom. A little air in the b/c may help. To visualize this seal your hand in a plastic bag and push it underwater. His suit may be a little to big too, his undergarments could be worn out or he may just be oversinsitive to the cold due to his medical condition.

Thanks for the feedback. The suit is actually very well fit. It was made to measure and they got it pretty spot on. I am starting to think it could be more related to my thyroid meds needing a bump up in dosage. Already made the doctor's appointment to get it checked out.

Back
Top Bottom