Cold at 78

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you're only offering her a shorty or rash guard I assume she has been diving in her swimsuit? Her getting chilled is no surprise especially if there is any level of day on day repetition.

Of the 2 suggestions you make the Thermoprene would be the one. She needs some neoprene that will offer some thermal advantage. In any case some sort of wetsuit, not a rash guard or dive skin is what is called for here.

Pete

78 is cold as far as I am concerned. At 78 I am wearing my 3 mil Marino Wool lined Pinacle PLUS my 3 mil Marino Wool line core warmer. And if it is a night dive after 3 or 4 during the day, I would have on my 5 mil Marino Wool.

You are not giving this poor girl enough clothes, man.

Why only shorties in the consideration set?

In general, women don't have as much muscle mass as men, thus don't generate as much heat. My girlfriend needs a 3mm full length suit when I am happy in board shorts.

May be worth getting her a full length suit to try.

Z...

I wear a 3mm full-suit in those temperatures, and if I'm doing multiple dives or a night dive, I'll often add a hooded vest.

My wife wears a full 5mm Thermalprene in 78 degrees.
Most people will get "cold" if they spend any amount of time in 80 degree water. Your core wants to be 98.6 degrees, water is a great heat sink.

WOW!!!

Awesome Replies.

I thought she was crazy. The last dive I did was in Jamaica at 79 down at 65 feet for 45 minutes and only board shorts and felt so comfortable.

I guess there is a difference between girls and guys, but a full suit for 78-80 sounds over board. When I used to surf, I would use a 3 mil full suit in 65 degree water and be very comfortable. Granted I am not fully submersed, but 3 mil in 80's range seems excessive.

Since you're only offering her a shorty or rash guard I assume she has been diving in her swimsuit? Her getting chilled is no surprise especially if there is any level of day on day repetition.

Of the 2 suggestions you make the Thermoprene would be the one. She needs some neoprene that will offer some thermal advantage. In any case some sort of wetsuit, not a rash guard or dive skin is what is called for here.

Pete

Yeah, she is only in a swim suit.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom