Cold at 78

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would never dive without a full suit. There are so many nice things in the sea that can, sting, scrape, poisen, stab, slice, burn, ok you get the idea. I have never been to warm in a 3mm full suit and I walk around with out a shirt on during ice diving.

I would suggest a full 3mm for temps in the mid to upper 70s. I'm usually pretty comfortable with my 3. I've even worn a 5mm at those temperatures and didn't get overheated until I was out of the water.

Everyone is different but I also agree with fppf about wearing a full suit the protection is nice.

You're lucky she can make 30 minutes in those getups......

I dive a 5/6 Scubapro wetsuit with a 2 mm hooded vest in 78 degree water.

My wife dives a 3mm full suit.

My son dives a 5 mm full and 3 mm shorty.

I dive a 2mm shorty.

For those temps.

Call me a wimp if ya want, but I'm in my full 3mm in the Caribean. With my micropreen hood on.

I agree with the rest of the warm water wimps. You can't catch me in less than a 3 mil. in under 80 degree water. I'll use a 1 mil if I'm doing a shallow dive, but anything more than 50' my 3 mil goes on. It can always be peeled off once on land to gain warmth (or not get too hot), but you need to maintain good core body temp when you're underwater. I'd rather overkill than freeze, and peel off layers rather than realize I don't have enough 'prene to keep me warm below the surface.

I would be in a 3mm suit plus a 2mm hooded vest. I'm not small, and I'm not a woman.

5 years ago I would do the same dive in a swimsuit. Many people find that their cold tolerance goes down as their logbook gets thicker.

Man, after reading these replies I feel like a reptile!!!

Maybe I should even consider some suits. I do know 80% of the heat lost is through your head, so maybe I'll just wear a hood :)

In all honesty, I think I will have my wife wear one of my old 3 mil wet suits in the warm temp and see how she does. I used to wear my 3 mil for 58 degree water while surfing and I would get hot. I know its not a similar comparison, so we'll see how she does.

On a side note, not sure if she thinks its dorky, but I think she wants to wear a shorty for appearance sake. Women, always fashion over function ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom