Cold at 78

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, after reading these replies I feel like a reptile!!!

Maybe I should even consider some suits. I do know 80% of the heat lost is through your head, so maybe I'll just wear a hood :)

In all honesty, I think I will have my wife wear one of my old 3 mil wet suits in the warm temp and see how she does. I used to wear my 3 mil for 58 degree water while surfing and I would get hot. I know its not a similar comparison, so we'll see how she does.

On a side note, not sure if she thinks its dorky, but I think she wants to wear a shorty for appearance sake. Women, always fashion over function ;-)

There are a few things to consider...

If you move around a lot you are going to generate heat. Last dive trip I was on I hardly moved from the waist up and only occasionally from the waist down. In 75-80F water I was cold wearing a full 3mm.

Additionally, what kind of wetsuit? How deep do you go? Some wetsuits compress more than others. If you are going deep then a hyperstretch will probably compress a lot more than other types of wetsuits.

I think a good 3mm will not hurt. She might even be okay with a 5mm or a 5mm shorty.

By the way, you are probably a lot more active when surfing then diving and without the depth there would be no compression on the wetsuit.

I don’t know it’s a boy/girl thing….I’ve got muscle and fat, and won’t dive with out a full suit - as long as I can help it.
Frankly when I came here (HI) it was suggested I get a wet suit and thought it was absurd. Then there was a sale and I splurged on a nice little shorty and didn’t snorkel w/o it again.

Then learning to dive, still in the pool, was freezing my butt off and again splurged on a full 3ml wetsuit which was the instant true love thing. Then at year 2 was again cold in multiple dives and winter. Rather embarrassed (this was HI and I see people in swimsuits!!!) got a 5ml. Felt like an idiot climbing into it for about 20 dives but realized I never complained of heat or cold and it is now my main suit J.

I say if wifey is often cold, like wears a sweater in AC or when most people don’t; heck, get at least a full 3ml, Hyperstretch. Very very comfy if the thought of wetsuit confinement is an issue (sure was mine.) A shorty is nice but doesn’t cut it for diving – and I’m not the always chilly type on the surface.
Another option is a light wt full suit + the Henderson Core Warmer. It is far less constrictive additional insulation and I can put it on top or under as in add for the second or third or fourth or deeper, whatever dives thing. All my suits are Henderson Hyperstretch, with what I could try on, they are the only kind for my comfort level requirements. And the stretch is amazing; I can layer them under and over each other willy nilly. The size small core warmer I loaned to a guy far taller than I who forgot his suit and was astounded he could get into it and not squeak. (And I was cold down there without it J.)

If fashion is the issue with her in regards to prefering a shorty, let her know just how short and fat they tend to make everyone look for pretty much the same reason as those in the know in fashion, tend to not like cropped pants. A full suit creates an illusion of height and black is inherently slimming! Nobody looks sexy in a shorty!:wink:

On a side note, not sure if she thinks its dorky, but I think she wants to wear a shorty for appearance sake. Women, always fashion over function ;-)
Well for looks, kinky or not I hear a lot of griping about how awful women look in a wetsuit, from women. And if my sister-in-law would get deeper than her knees in water, I bet she’d say that.
No longer eating off my looks, I worried about that, like was it just going to be even worse now!
I think I look better in my Hyperstretch than bathing suit, a bit of the prime time back, think: grrrowl - swipe with claws tight black cat suit.
Does she only dive where there isn’t anything better to look at under water? Bikinis are for the surface, you can’t see envy or drooling behind a mask and reg. Then to, she can milk donning and doffing that suit for all it’s worth. (Come on guys, I see you notice.)

When we were diving in Kona last year, I was comfortable in my 3mm full as was my lovely bride. However, another female diver wore a full 7mm, hood and gloves. When she came up, she was shivering like a wet puppy.

Have her wear what she wants and what makes her comfortable, she will be a much happier buddy!

Well for looks, kinky or not I hear a lot of griping about how awful women look in a wetsuit, from women.
of course, and then the guys are supposed to respond appropriately that they look great. highdesert seems to be with the program :wink:

I figured a full suit for this temp range is too much. Maybe I am wrong.
You may very well be wrong. Response to the water temp varies hugely from person to person. I would be wearing a full 5 mm suit at 78 deg; my wife would be wearing a full 3 mm. The point is, what is comfortable to you may be totally wrong for your wife.

It is really a matter of indivual preference. I usually wear a 5 ml hyperstretch in anything from 72 degrees up and usually add a hood when it is below 80. I dive for fun and if I'm comfortable I'm happy. Below 70 I start adding layers or go dry. If your wife is comfortable she will be more likely to enjoy the diving and you will keep your dive buddy. Remember the old saying if mama is happy everybody is happy, if mama isn't happy NOBODY is happy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom