Trip Report CocoView Resort May 8-15, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great report as usual!

Your attached photos showcased a pretty nice variety of marine life over the 22 dives, however in some wider shots there was a lot of nice reef (sponge, coral, sea fans) but no marine life. You concluded the marine life was pretty typical for the Caribbean I believe, you've dived both the Keys and the SE coast of FL if I recall. Would you agree the marine life, particularly on the larger side is more dense in those areas?

P.S. I hope to be retired by 52 as well... until then I'll continue enjoying your detailed reports!

Would you agree the marine life, particularly on the larger side is more dense in those areas?

Key Largo (2013 trip, 20 dives) was fishier; the shallow reef dives as I recalled featured more 'medium' fish - things like blue-striped grunts. I found Key Largo compared quite favorably to what I've seen of the Caribbean overall.

The outer atolls of Belize via live-aboard, and Little Cayman (also via live-aboard) subjectively seemed 'fishier,' but multiple Caribbean reef shark sightings and large Nassau grouper had an impact on those impressions (I saw Nassau grouper in Roatan, but no large ones; the black grouper were small to medium, not as big as I've seen in Cozumel). In the Caymans in particular, it seemed the wildlife were more acclimated to humans - I saw a hawksbill turtle swim out toward a guide, and some Nassau grouper allowed themselves to be touched. I saw more eagle rays in the Caymans.

Yes, there were times in Roatan that lush reef looked sparser on fish than I would've liked. Then on another dive I might see a yellow fin grouper of decent size. I think part of what led me to enjoy the medium and large life of Roatan was that I'd read it was over-fished and didn't have much of such things, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found it. I didn't see any sea turtles this trip, nor do I recall any of the other divers on those dives claiming they did.

If you head on up to Jupiter, it's a whole other ball game. Visiting during the Goliath grouper aggregation, or going on shark dives, can give a whole new meaning to the concept of 'big stuff.'

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely trip report. You definitely set the standard. I really appreciate how you hit every aspect of the trip and include so many photos. I've been to Utila (right before the pandemic) and found the comparison interesting.

Retired at 52! That is goals right there! :)

A beyond excellent report drrich! And I'm glad that you had such a good time despite conditions.

Thanks for another great report, drrich! I probably missed it, but what were the water temps like?

...what were the water temps like?
My old Oceanic VT3 mostly said 80, and occasionally 79, the times I looked. In years past, from talking with other people, I came to the subjective impression it might give temp.s a degree lower than some people's computers show, so I'd say 80, maybe 81 degrees. No thermoclines.

Richard.

Your trip reports are unparalleled. I've seen lots of CCV reviews but not with the details and photos that make me feel like I would be familiar with everything on my first visit. Maybe CCV should waive the orientation for those who have read your report? Lol.

Q, on the sandy walkway to the shore dive, how deep is the water and would one be able to walk out easily barefoot?

It would be easy to at least walk out as far as that wooden platform where we don and doff fins. Iirc, my shoulders were easily out of the water and I’m about 6’1”. I’d be careful barefoot - always the chance of a bristle worm or wandering urchin. Even past the platform when I was finning, it was pretty shallow for a ways. I recall moving just a little above sea grass bed.

Thanks, Richard. Your report completely confirms the suspicion I had that CCV would be more to my taste than I found AKR to be.

Most excellent trip report. My best description of CCV is that "Its a land based live-aboard"

Back
Top Bottom