Cocos in November - which suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,
I'm on the seahunter this November and was wondering what exposure suit to wear 3mm or 5mm. I gather temps are in the 26-29C range but lower under thermoclines. My thinking is 5mm but would appreciate someone who's been here before this time of year chipping in.

TIA,
J

Sorry, no answer to your question but need to know the same thing; out of interest, which trip are you going on, I am booked on Sea Hunter 29/10-8/11. I'm travelling around Central America for a bit beforehand so will probably need to rent a suit, am planning to carry a 3mm suit round with me which I suspect will not be warm enough for Cocos.

I've been to cocos twice, and i've been in a 5 mil for every dive. I've taken a hood, but rarely used it. Gloves are a must!!
I'll be there again in August, and can't wait!!!

November is definitely one of the chillier months for diving in Cocos. I generally use a 3mm with 3/5 hooded vest with a 1mm underneath. When we were there in Nov 07 the thermocline was around 60ft and temp was around 67F. If you are inclined to get cold, a 5mm will be best. Eventually the thermocline went back and temps went back up to 78F.

Thanks for the responses - I'm gonna go 5mm. I don't really feel the cold much but best err on the safe side. Cathm - I'm on the Sea Hunter 12-22 so I just miss you. Shame :-( Have an amzing trip...

the 5mm will also be nice in terms of protection. there's a lot of rocks there, and with the current you will bump into them. i also pulled 5 urchin spines out of my 5 mm last year and none got through the suit.

Definitely go with the 5mm. I was there Nov/Dec 08 (on SeaHunter). I wore my 5mm all week. Plus I wore a long-sleeved thermal top (I was cold without it) and a hood on all dives. As others have said gloves (lightweight ones are fine) are a must because you will be holding onto rocks.

Have a great time!

I've been there several times, 5mm is the way to go. You might be warm on the surface but the dives are deep and the currents and thermoclines make it feel colder than the temp would suggest. My dive buddy always wears a 7mm there but he normally gets cold pretty fast. The rest of our group all wear 5mm. You'll see lots of hoods being worn by the the end of the trip. Have fun, you'll love it!!

Thanks for all the tips everyone, much appreciated. I wasn't even going to bring a hood but I will now.

Back
Top Bottom