CoCo View Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba41girl

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We were at CCV from May 5th to the 12th. The diving was fabulous. We saw a ton of marine life. On a night dive I saw 6 octopus and a squid. The shark dive is a must do!!

The first day we arrived, I was a bit nervous. They had sandwiches for us and they were awful. I thought the food was going to be terrible, but it turned out to be good the rest of the week. The carrot soup was excellent.

We stayed in beach house 9. I wouldnt stay in a beach house again. Too many bugs. We saw one of the over water cabanas. It was much cleaner. As for the bike ride from the beach houses. No big deal. The ride wasnt as far as I thought it would be. The only problem was that on every bike ride (and I mean EVERY one) my fiance would repeat "ET phone home". The bikes look like the ones from the movie. I wanted to shoot him.

As for the dive operation. It was perfect!!! I dont think I ever carried a tank more than 2 ft. Everything was so easy, rinse tanks, lockers, drying racks. We were on a boat with Jesse and Reuban. They were both great. Jesse is a God. He keeps all level of divers happy on the same dive. My only complaint is that I was exhausted from soooo many dives.:D

The service was great. I ran out of shampoo and conditioner while I was there. I put in an order and it was in my shower the next day.

One final thought. My fiance and I both took a photography course while we were there. It was with Tim (he only works one on one). It was soooo much better than the Padi course we took. We learned a ton. My pictures were great by the end of the week.

So yes i would go back to CCV. And by the way. I had no problems with the no-see-ums. I dont see what all the fuss was about. I did wear Cactus juice for 3 days. I just expected it to be alot worse. I must have sour blood! :D

Can you dive with CCV for just the day? I don't want the AI package, but with such great reviews, I would like to dive with them for one day.

rleslie:
Can you dive with CCV for just the day? I don't want the AI package, but with such great reviews, I would like to dive with them for one day.
Yes, there was a couple that was on a cruise ship that dove for the day. I'll give you a quick story about them.

We were setting up for the shark dive at a different destination and this guy comes down the dock and asks where we are from. We said CCV and he said he and his wife were on a cruise but that they were not cruise ship divers because they each had over 500 dives.....at this point I was thinking what is a "cruise ship diver" and what is wrong with being one but hey...oh well. The whole way out to the site, they proceeded to TEACH us all how to dive :shakehead . When I got to the bottom and knelt in my position, the wife dropped on my head...twice!!! i have never seen anything like it. By the time we hit land we were all running from them. Then they ended up coming back to CCV to dive. It was scary.

Ah, not everyone coming from a cruiseship is evil. :14:

Not all vacations can be dedicated dive vacations.

Want to go on a vacation with the extended family including grandparents, grandkids, aunts, uncles, etc.. ? Want to try to sneak in a few dives ? A cruise is kinda nice.

:coffee:

ronrosa:
Ah, not everyone coming from a cruiseship is evil. :14:

Not all vacations can be dedicated dive vacations.

Want to go on a vacation with the extended family including grandparents, grandkids, aunts, uncles, etc.. ? Want to try to sneak in a few dives ? A cruise is kinda nice.

:coffee:
i agree....i didn't quite get the "we're not cruise ship divers" attitude. we just did a cruise x-mas week and did some great dives in the bahamas. I have no problem being a cruise ship diver as long as I dont have to back roll off of it :D

scuba41girl:
So yes i would go back to CCV. And by the way. I had no problems with the no-see-ums. I dont see what all the fuss was about. I did wear Cactus juice for 3 days. I just expected it to be alot worse. I must have sour blood! :D

You should be very thankful - not only did I get like at least 30 bites (no lie) I am allergic to insect saliva according to my dermatologist so every bite it get welps up, itches like mad and is hot. I thought the itching was gone but yesterday and today every bite I got is welping up again, itching and hot as if I just got bit. I put hydrocortisone on and take antihistamines but nothing really helps but time (and scratching) :sigh_2:

mauigal:
You should be very thankful - not only did I get like at least 30 bites (no lie) I am allergic to insect saliva according to my dermatologist so every bite it get welps up, itches like mad and is hot. I thought the itching was gone but yesterday and today every bite I got is welping up again, itching and hot as if I just got bit. I put hydrocortisone on and take antihistamines but nothing really helps but time (and scratching) :sigh_2:
I was really nervous about going to Roatan. So many people talk about the no-see-ums. I only got one bite :eyebrow: I was very lucky, but I really dont get bit too much here either.

mauigal:

You have to do anything to not scratch :furious: the welts. It will only make matters worse. Here are some ideas....

MallWart sells Benadryl Lotion as well as their way-less expensive "Equate" Brand.

The spansules (pills) can make you kinda' sleepy. REI and other places sell a product called "Afterbite". Most pharmacies also sell topical anesthetics that are quite potent, some of the best are marketed for male premature... well- you know. Hydrocortisone is probably not the correct medicine.

Here's my take on prevention of the little buggers: :007: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...148905954&blogMonth=1&blogDay=3&blogYear=2007

You'll find them anywhere south of the freeze line has sand flies, sand fleas, no-see-ums, etc. They are endemic to the Caribbean, but it is well known that the Bay Islands have the very best sand :angrymob: flies, bar none.

DEET mixes well with Flor de Cana Rum.

RoatanMan:
You have to do anything to not scratch :furious: the welts. It will only make matters worse. Here are some ideas....

if only it were that easy... ohhhh the humanity!
:frown: I'll have to try that afterbite stick......... thanks

btw what are the chances of getting leishmaniasis?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom