Coco View? Roatan in July? Do's & Don'ts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DO take repellant.

DO take your best computer, because you...

DO dive your brains out.

DO a night dive on the "Prince Albert", preferably before or after the crowd.

DO go out to dinner at Romeo's (Coco can set it up for you).

Have a great time. (I know you will)

Originally posted by TropiGal
:flys: Got DEET?

Heading to Coco View Resort off Roatan the middle of July. First trip there...anybody got any do's and don'ts for there? Favorite dive sites? Gonna be there then?

Got me dreamin' about my home away from home again! Be prepared to dive, eat, dive, dive, eat, nap, dive, dive, hang out, eat, dive on a daily basis!

Cactus Juice works well on the no-seeums but if you don't mind Deet, it works too. Whatever you use you'll still get some bites. Benedryl™ spray will take care of the itching, an RX for the pills even better. They are worse in the early morning and late evening, especially around the damp sand areas around the gear shed. They also like the salt on your skin so take a rinse shower often.

You dive the Prince Albert often but it's a great night dive. On the upper deck, under the cable winch, is where you'll likely see Frank, the big Octopus. Then there's Willy, the huge Green Moray in a crack on the deck in front of the wheelhouse. Not to mention bazillions of Arrow Crabs and Brittle Stars.

If you like Frogfish, which are not very common in Roatan, you'll find a family of them at the beginning of CCV Wall at 70ft. Ask Gringo...he'll show them to you.

Calvin's Crack and Menageriea are just two of my many favorites. No matter how many times I've dived on every reef, each time is a wonder. Bottom line....every site is very good. But my absolute favorite diving at CCV is shore dives on the two walls...CCV Wall and Newman's Wall. Beast and I enjoy being on the walls by ourselves. As photographers, the photo opportunities are amazing and we never tire of them.

Our next trip is next April so I sure hope you post a trip report when you get back! Tell Erin and Billy, Robert, Gringo and all the crews that Doug and Davida said hello!

:D
Thanks for the info and advice. I can't wait. I was already excited but now...even more! I'll say hello to everybody for you Dee... My husband just got a Motor Marine ProMaster EX - our first underwater camera so we are looking forward to practicing some here at Clear Springs Scuba Park and in the pool before going to Coco View. Hopefully, we'll get some good shots of Frank and Willy. I'm sure you could give us some pointers on that too!

Thanks to you too, lakesdiver - I will follow your instructions - love all those "do's". Is it July yet????

Originally posted by TropiGal
:D
Thanks for the info and advice. I can't wait. I was already excited but now...even more! I'll say hello to everybody for you Dee... My husband just got a Motor Marine ProMaster EX - our first underwater camera so we are looking forward to practicing some here at Clear Springs Scuba Park and in the pool before going to Coco View. Hopefully, we'll get some good shots of Frank and Willy....

If you have any questions about your camera or u/w photography in general, just ask Tim the Photo Guy. He's very nice and very knowledgeable and always willing to help.

Ya'll have a blast!

TropiGal,
I know what you mean. We're going in August (10th trip) and can hardly wait. Except that diving Scapa Flow is July, I'd be "rushing the calendar" too.

Hi Rick

I'll be at Coco's View in August as well (1st trip there!)

We'll be arriving the 17th for a week and then we'll be heading to Utila for another week.

Can't wait...

Sue

Sue,
Wouldn't you know. We're there the 10th thru the 17th. But we'll tell Nayda to keep some beer cold for you. And if you like rum, ask Billy about Flor de Caña. Enjoy.

Tropigal,

My husband & I were in Roatan in January. We stayed at Fantasy Island which is just across from CocoView. The diving is basically the same but I can't speak to the accomodations.

Mary's Place was my favorite dive. It had a beautiful swim through. Carl's Place was the dive when I got the best photos. Carl's Place is on the west end and we saw both dolphins and sea turtles there in January. Not sure if the time of year difference will affect your ability to see different creatures but we definitely saw things on the west end that we didn't see else where primarily diving south each day.

I agree with Dee that the Prince Albert is a must dive both day and night.

I also second Lakesdivers recommendation to eat a Romeo's. After a week of eating at the same resort, it was awesome to get out and tour the island during our last surface interval day and eat truly gourmet at Romeo's.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. The local people are extremely hospitable. Do be sure to pack some cactus juice. I had no problem with Noseeums using it.

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

Dont forget to take the Avon Skin so Soft! This stuff works GREAT! The first year we went I got EATEN ALIVE by the no seeums.

CoCo View is the best!

Tell Nayda and Michelle that Russ and Meredith said HELLO!!! We miss them and their Monkeylala's!!!

Back
Top Bottom